Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My 'NEW' 911 1st Post!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004 | 12:39 PM
Vintage911racer
3rd Gear

Joe,

Sweet car. If you plan on running some historic events I would re-consider the 2.69 liter engine. With that motor you will be lucky to get accepted and if you do, you will be running with the big bore cars. Like Corvettes and Mustangs. I am the C Production class rep for VARA (Vintage Auto Racing Association) and the guys that come in with the "big" Motors get bumped up in class or run as an exhibition car for NO Points.

Great looking car. Go for the "R" Look. It sort of already has that feel to it.

Enjoy the new ride.
Old 06-02-2004 | 02:25 PM
tac911t
Rennlist Member

Joe,

I would be interested in the gearbox that you have. You found 5th gear where 5th gear would be. 1970 911 had the 901 gearbox, with a 5 speed,
reverse was top left (where first gear is on other cars), first gear was at bottom left (where 2nd gear in on other cars), and the gate is spring loaded to keep it out of 1st and reverse gear gates. Sounds like you
have a 915 gearbox.

Years ago when I start to look for my first 911, the first one I looked at was a 1972 911T. Knowing very little about 911's, I thought all the early 911's had the 901 shift pattern, the shift **** had a plan aftermarket ****, and not a factory **** with the shift pattern on it. After pulling out of the owners driveway in 2rd gear, and not finding reverse where I thought it would be, I learned quick. I only looked at 3 911's, all 1972 911T's, bought the one closest to
my house (1 or 2 miles away), which also was the cleanest and most original of the 3. Which is pretty amazing considering the small city I live in.
Old 06-03-2004 | 02:56 PM
joeblow
Advanced

It is a 901 box. What I meant was, being told it was a 4 spd I felt funny grabbing for fifth 'knowing' it wasn't there, but finding it anyway!! I just found out why she pops on decel so badly, a very cracked and previously attempted to be welded heat exchangers. I decided to get a set of headers and an old RSR muffler (twin in/out with center tips) for now and will invest in SSI units when our frigid SoCal winter arrives ..... it begins!!
Old 06-03-2004 | 11:58 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Joe,
That is a beautiful, classic 911. Congratulations.
chuck
Old 06-04-2004 | 12:57 PM
joeblow
Advanced

Thanks Chuck! I will take some more pics soon since I have been busy! I am installing the exhaust today and will have a set of DOT Race Rubber for the 16"/7" Fuches I got with the car on in a few days too. I am going to drop her a few inches since she looks a little too 4X4 right now I just found that the pedal box is bushingless, which is giving me about 60% throttle max since it pivots too much to the side and takes away much of the throw. I think the Master Cyl is starting to seep a bit too so I will do that ASAP! I am going to coat the floor with rust eater too just in case.
Old 06-07-2004 | 12:00 AM
Gordon_F
AutoX

cool car, cool story, congrats
Old 06-07-2004 | 01:41 PM
joeblow
Advanced

I am ordering a Certificate of Authenticity on the car. Somebody asked how significant the Rally history was on the car. I don't know much, but there are some VERY interesting little bits I am finding out about the car. The missing trim on the bumpers is curious because I looked on the inside and there seems to never have been any trim mounted which I think is a R or RS or RSR only type situation. The rockers have the holes for the trim but they have never had the trim on from what I can tell because the holes don't show signs of having screws in them. The engine has factory WEBER Carbs on it which were not available in 70' unless you were getting a Werks car for racing. The distributer is a BOSCH unit too which is wrong. Now I know that both the carbs and the distributer could have been changed out but the previous owner said they hade been on the car in the early 70's when the car came over from Germany. The car is a Euro car with, get this, the original german plate from stuttgart. Now perhapts I a reaching a bit here but it could have had a Frankfurt plate or a Berlin plate etc... but to have a Stutgart plate is again VERY interesting. The 4 spd that turned out to be a 5 spd is very short and appears to have non-stock gearing. I will pull the codes to see what it is. I have driven lots of early 911s and if I closed my eyes and drove the car (getting only 60% throttle or so!) she feels like she has a very strong running 2.4 ltr 'S' engine vs the 2.2 ltr 'T' she is suposed to be. I know Porsche built many Werks Rally cars in 68'-71' with 200-230 HP engines that were labeled 'T' cars. I guess I should just wait for the certificate.
Old 06-07-2004 | 02:02 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Damn...I should have bid higher...
Old 06-07-2004 | 06:36 PM
joeblow
Advanced

Hee Hee Hee!!
Old 06-08-2004 | 03:24 AM
nine64
Racer

Originally posted by exc911ence
Too many RS-look cars already... not enough 911R-look cars though!
Can you please post some pic of 911R look?
Old 06-08-2004 | 08:22 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have some. This is a real 911R:
Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2004 | 08:23 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think this one is too:
Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2004 | 08:24 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not sure about this one, but it's cool:
Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2004 | 03:37 PM
joeblow
Advanced

Doug the #38 looks like my car minus the 'R' 1/4 windows. What realy makes me wonder about my cars potential history is the missing trim, since all the factory race cars had no trim and only a painted stripe to simulate the stock look which is very noticable in the pic of the #39 car above. Since my car was repainted I would not know if it had these or not. I thought that a true 'R' had those goofy turn signals front and back? To add to the gaining mystique of my car I found several filled holes on the hood in the location of the rubber hold downs and further back hood for hood mounted rally lights perhapts? The rear decklid however does not have the holes for the rear hold downs. I will pull the bumper to see if it had the holes since the decklid could have been changed over the years, possibly from a ducktail?
Old 06-08-2004 | 03:46 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

My 911R history is a little fuzzy too...for instance I don't know if all real Rs have the unusual front turn signals or not. I guess lately I've been reading up on cars like the S/T that are factory lightweights like the R but keep a pretty stock outword appearance. I think I'm getting them all confused.

You may have said this, but do you know for sure that your bumpers are 100% factory and/or original? I guess the skeptic in me says that a lot could have been changed in 34 years. Of course, that's part of the fun of owning an old beauty like this one!

Keep us posted. And post some pics when you get that bad boy lowered!

Quick Reply: My 'NEW' 911 1st Post!!