wingless' Porsche 928-361-047-00 NOS DOM Wheel Lock Set

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2023, 08:34 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts
Default wingless' Porsche 928-361-047-00 NOS DOM Wheel Lock Set

The standard equipment on my gorgeous 1986 Porsche 911 Carrera Targa included a set of the Porsche 928-361-047-00 DOM wheel locks, but my vehicle did not include these parts when received. These discontinued wheel locks were difficult to locate. There were many partial / incomplete sets, but nothing that could be used on my vehicle.

There are many owners that instead chose less complex / more secure locking wheel lug nuts, the new style w/ a formed cylindrical key, like the Porsche 993-361-057-00 locking lug nuts. Those are great for easy / problem-free operation.

Fortunately I located a complete set of NOS Porsche 928-361-047-00 DOM wheel locks that I purchased online and had shipped from the seller in Australia, to my southern Florida home.

These arrived in great / new condition. The only issue I discovered was that the o-ring at the interior base of the outer locking sleeve had deteriorated from age. I removed all the fragments of those o-rings, measured the parts and ordered replacement matching o-rings from McMaster-Carr. The only difference is the replacement part has black color instead of clear color for the original part.

These DOM wheel locks have a interesting design. Insert the key, with the blade indentations causing the corresponding locking tabs to all become flush w/ the central barrel. Those locking tabs each have a corresponding internal channel on the unique lug nut. Those channels have the appearance of ribs when looking into the end of the unique lug nut. It is not required to turn the key, just insert the key and pull the outer locking sleeve off the unique lug nut.

It will not be surprising that the mass of this locking lug nut assembly is greater than that for a standard lug nut. These are the measured masses for the various parts:
  1. Standard / plain lug nut: 18.3g
  2. Unique lug nut (internal part, threads onto wheel hub stud): 24.0g
  3. Outer locking sleeve: 20.1g
  4. Snap on cap: 0.8g
  5. Total lock assembly: 45.0g
  6. Difference between lock assembly and plain lug nut: 26.7g
  7. Key blade (reference, remains on key chain, not wheel): 6.6g
These fit nicely onto my vehicle. My expectation is that problems experienced by some, such as corrosion from road salt, wont be an issue by operation in southern Florida.

This complete set includes four matching / identical blade keys. My set did not include the OEM Porsche box. My set included the DOM plastic bag and the German language instruction sheet.

Old 10-04-2023, 09:39 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

The German language instruction sheet was translated to English using Google Translate.

Here is the before / after translation.

DOM

Bedienungsanleitung
Radmutter-Schloß

Zur Demontage des Radschlosses die Kunststoff-Abdeckkappe abnehmen, den Schlüssel bis zum Anschlag in das Schloß einführen, um ca 90° nach rechts oder links drehen und die Hülse mit dem Schlüssel abziehen.
Zur Montage des Radschlosses den Schlüssel bis zum Anschlag in das Schloß einführen und die Hülse auf die Radmutter Schieben.
Vor Abziehen des Schlüssels kontrollieren, ob die Hülse am Bund der Radmutter anstent.
Beim Abziehen des Schlüssels muß die Hülse gegen die Radmutter gedrückt werden.
Kunststoff-Abdeckkappe aufstecken.

DOM

Operating Instructions
Wheel Nut Lock

To dismantle the wheel lock, remove the plastic cover cap, insert the key into the lock as far as it will go, turn it approx. 90° to the right or left and remove the sleeve with the key.
To install the wheel lock, insert the key into the lock as far as it will go and push the sleeve onto the wheel nut.
Before removing the key, check whether the sleeve is attached to the collar of the wheel nut.
When removing the key, the sleeve must be pressed against the wheel nut.
Put on the plastic cover cap.
Old 10-08-2023, 04:02 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wingless
These arrived in great / new condition. The only issue I discovered was that the o-ring at the interior base of the outer locking sleeve had deteriorated from age. I removed all the fragments of those o-rings, measured the parts and ordered replacement matching o-rings from McMaster-Carr. The only difference is the replacement part has black color instead of clear color for the original part.

The listed O-Ring parts arrived and were waaay the wrong size.

The parts were measured much more carefully and the best possible fit, using available parts, will be from these McMaster-Carr 9262K619 O-Rings. They are due to arrive on Tuesday. An update will be provided when available.
Old 10-08-2023, 05:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

i got a complete set for 15 bucks at Hershey with an extra key.
guess i did okay
Old 10-14-2023, 10:57 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

... The only issue I discovered was that the o-ring at the interior base of the outer locking sleeve had deteriorated from age. I removed all the fragments of those o-rings, measured the parts and ordered replacement matching o-rings from McMaster-Carr. The only difference is the replacement part has black color instead of clear color for the original part.

The listed O-Ring parts arrived and were waaay the wrong size.

The parts were measured much more carefully and the best possible fit, using available parts, will be from these McMaster-Carr 9262K619 O-Rings. They are due to arrive on Tuesday. An update will be provided when available.
The new McMaster-Carr 9262K619 O-Rings arrived and fit perfectly.

Quick Reply: wingless' Porsche 928-361-047-00 NOS DOM Wheel Lock Set