Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Leather dashboard help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2023 | 10:26 AM
alfetta
Rennlist Member

Default Leather dashboard help please

My 1985 cab came with the optional extended leather which means I now have a warped leather dashtboard op. I have taken the car to two reliable shops and all they want to do is replace the entire dashboard. They have told me the leather top piece is stiched to the vinyl dashboard and cannot be replaced separately. The leather is fine---only the foam board underlay has warped.

It seems wrong that the leather top section cannot be removed or replaced. I am going to replace the windshield next week and I thought I could replace this piece when the windsheild was out.

I have two questions; first, what is underneath the leather top cover, and second, has anyone done this or know about the repair?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2023 | 01:24 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

The dashboard (and entire interior) of my '88 Carrera was completely redone in 2014 by All City Convertibles and Customs located in Kirkland Washington. The guy that did the work is Matt - and he still works there (I spoke with him a month or two ago about the great work he did on my car.)

https://www.allcityconvertible.com

(My car is shown on the web page above - as is the contact information for Matt.)

I'm sure he can convey precisely what is involved in doing the work. He is an expert craftsman.

Full leather interior including the dash

Original Porsche factory leather used throughout

The following users liked this post:
alfetta (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023 | 05:55 PM
alfetta
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I called Matt and he was helpful.
The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023 | 07:00 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Did you go to Autobahn interiors? I'd trust what Tony says, they are one of the best in the country at interiors.

Old 09-30-2023 | 10:49 AM
alfetta
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply. I did buy they had the same solution as OB Upholstery--just replace the whole dashboard. The car is a very good driver quality car and I will probaby live with it as is. I don't think the expense would be justified given the market.
Old 09-30-2023 | 02:12 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alfetta
Thanks for the reply. I did buy they had the same solution as OB Upholstery--just replace the whole dashboard. The car is a very good driver quality car and I will probaby live with it as is. I don't think the expense would be justified given the market.
they see a lot of these... so i'd trust their judgment on options. If you see how they are made you'll see the issue. you'll spend more time trying to reform the old dash to spec. Not sure if the original leather is savable.
Old 10-01-2023 | 04:56 AM
Andbsbz
Banned

Originally Posted by alfetta
My 1985 cab came with the optional extended leather which means I now have a warped leather dashtboard op. I have taken the car to two reliable shops and all they want to do is replace the entire dashboard. They have told me the leather top piece is stiched to the vinyl dashboard and cannot be replaced separately. The leather is fine---only the foam board underlay has warped.

It seems wrong that the leather top section cannot be removed or replaced. I am going to replace the windshield next week and I thought I could replace this piece when the windsheild was out.

I have two questions; first, what is underneath the leather top cover, and second, has anyone done this or know about the repair?

Thanks in advance!
im looking forward to get some answers from this
Old 10-02-2023 | 03:00 PM
Uwon
Racer

I got the stitched leather fromTony at Autobahn and glued it myself. Glued in small stage making sure leather was taught.

the back material is that hard foam crap that may disintegrate when you pull off the old leather in which case you are only left with purchasing a new core, which is available as an after market item.
good luck.
cheers

Last edited by Uwon; 10-02-2023 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-02-2023 | 05:58 PM
alfetta
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the great information. Tony did not tell me he made this product. A couple of questions please:

Where did you source the foam underlay?
What kind of glue did you use?
DId you do it with the windsheild in place?
Is the foam underlay glue to the metal top or the old vinyl dashboard?

This was fabulous information, it seemed to me there had to be a way to fix this without installing a new dash.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 04-19-2024 | 06:50 AM
n1ne11
Instructor

Did someone hear about anybody with a very warped dash replacing the plastic dash mold but recovering it with the original leather of the original dash?

I'm not ready to pay for a new dash if the leather is going to look off. Pretty sure burgundy is tough to match.

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2024 | 02:26 PM
Dr. 914
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

AIR redoes the dashes, or you can buy one if the inexpensive aftermarket ones and dye it. we sell many

Quick Reply: Leather dashboard help please