Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fuel Pump: Replace or Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2023 | 02:48 PM
darwistj1
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Fuel Pump: Replace or Rebuild

I have a '78 SC and I have some mechanical history on the car but nothing related to the fuel pump ever being replaced/rebuilt. The car is running well. With a preventative hat on, is there a general approach to care for the fuel pump if you have no history (looks original).

Any advice on which to perform or a whole other approach?
1) Pull off and clean and reinstall? I have read there is a small screen at the input that can gather particles causing some noise while running.
2) Pull off, send for rebuild and reinstall?
3) Purchase new and install (I currently have a new Bosch, but could return if 1/2 are more desired)?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by darwistj1; 09-14-2023 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-14-2023 | 04:21 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 170 Posts

If the car is running well, there is nothing to be done. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it is broke, it is a cheap, easy, quick thing to replace. Nobody would rebuild a fuel pump; they are a consumable. I carry a new fuel pump in my 'spares' box in my race trailer, thereby guaranteeing I'll never need it. Somebody gave me a NOS fuel pump for my street '69 911, likewise guaranteeing I'll never need it (they'd never needed it either).

Last edited by raspritz; 09-14-2023 at 04:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
darwistj1 (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023 | 05:12 PM
darwistj1
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
If the car is running well, there is nothing to be done. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it is broke, it is a cheap, easy, quick thing to replace. Nobody would rebuild a fuel pump; they are a consumable. I carry a new fuel pump in my 'spares' box in my race trailer, thereby guaranteeing I'll never need it. Somebody gave me a NOS fuel pump for my street '69 911, likewise guaranteeing I'll never need it (they'd never needed it either).
Thank you raspritz. I'll keep the new pump on hand to guarantee that I'll not need it. The approach to rebuild came from a pelican forum where they were discussing the quality of the new pumps.
The following users liked this post:
raspritz (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023 | 09:36 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

i have heard the long neck fuel pump used on the SC is practically unobtanium these days as they have not been built for years. there was a big discussion on pelican about building a bunch of fittings to get something to work.

if you have a spare long neck bosch squirrel it away just in case.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump: Replace or Rebuild