Touch Up Paint for 82 911

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 11:29 PM
OneNineElevenGuy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Touch Up Paint for 82 911

Hello Again!

I went to my local Porsche dealer looking to purchase touch up paint for my 1982 911SC in Grand Prix White. I am just looking to cover up a few of the stone chips that are on the front. The kind man behind the parts counter told me that Porsche had discontinued the paint in a touch up configuration.

I know there is a company/sponser I think that will mix and supply me with what I need, But there is no time before the car show I am entering to get the paint.

Is there another year/color name that is just like Grand Prix White that I may be able to use? Are there that many shades of white?

Again, Thanks for the help

Mark
Old 05-25-2004, 01:33 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

www.paintscratch.com/ is one place to get touchup paint that is mentioned often around here. Performance Products has Grand Prix White touchup paint. Maybe they can overnight something to you if you are in a bind...

There are several shades of white (if that makes sense). But, even trying a white that looks close from your local auto parts store might work in a pinch.

Jay
90 964
Old 05-25-2004, 10:25 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark, Jay is correct regarding the availability. I purchased some of this GP white from different sources including the original source when it was still available. It does not come as close to matching as some of the over-the-counter paints, GM Bright White - is the closest that I have found, but is slightly too blue. In attempting to get a match, I wet sanded with Imperial 1000 then 2000 and polished the area to insure that I was through faded paint. Original Porsche GP white off-the-shelf must yellow in the bottle and take on a more ivory caste, or the yellow may have faded out of the paint in the 20 plus years it has been on the car. I doubt that the latter is the case since the touch up paint does not match the wheel wells or the interior color. Remixed to formula GP white is much closer and is actually very close to the GM Bright White.

Quick Reply: Touch Up Paint for 82 911