Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Preserving rubber moldings

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 01:34 PM
Steve87-911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preserving rubber moldings

While having my PrePI compression and leak down test done, another 911 owner said that carnuba wax is best for preserving the rubber exterior moldings. Is this true? Sure would make my waxing job easier if I could use the same carnuba wax that I use on the paint.
Thanks,

-Steve
Old 05-24-2004, 03:29 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would assume waxing the exterior rubber components on a car would leave them with looking rather white since the residue from waxing does not come off rubber and vinyl all that well. I have never seen any long term results from waxing rubber or vinyl with regular carnuba wax. I just know that it would look pretty poor...

I use Vinylex by Lexol and One Grand Vinyl treatment to protect rubber and vinyl components. Both have good UV protection and do not contain silicone (which breaks down rubber/vinyl). There are other very good non silicone based rubber protectants out there as well. I'd stick with these type of products.

Jay
90 964
Old 05-24-2004, 10:22 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

No, use Meguairs rubber care or something similar (as above) - see their web site.
Ozone is the real killer but won't be too bad in SB.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:21 PM
porschefied
Advanced

I have used vegetable glycerin (available from your health food store). It is "food grade" so you can consume it if you wish. You can also make your own lotion with other additives. Use sparingly, apply with lintless cloth. Do a small area so you can see how much to apply. It is very thick but it does absorb. Don't get it on the glass -- but it won't hurt it if you do.

I am reminded of high school when a pot-head friend of my brother's told me that I should wax my black Camaro with motor oil. Yeah, that's how you wax black cars, motor oil. I guess he thought I would actually do it.

-Shelley
1977 911S
Old 05-25-2004, 03:57 AM
944ZEN
Instructor

Actually the "Owners manual" to my 79'SC and my previous 84' 944 say to use Glycerin or Talcum as treatment for the rubber. There is a whole section about Care and maintenance of interior and exterior in the "owners manual".

Even if the information is somewhat old and outdated it's not totaly wrong, and could apply as a mnimum standard.

Quick Reply: Preserving rubber moldings