Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rough rider

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2023, 11:11 AM
rsrguy3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough rider

So... I'm embarrassed to say I've hade this beast for a long time... and the ride is miserable, but I'd been only doing relatively short drives through the canyons and has decent handling but after driving home from the car show an hour away I think I should try to do better.
Its a 72t and im certain the shocks are original. In the past id thought bilsteins would be the ticket for that gnarly corner carving ripper... Now I want a comfortable ride, I figure the handling will still be light years beyond any other car we have.
Suggestions?
Old 07-08-2023, 07:24 PM
Bruce911_
Pro

Received 515 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by rsrguy3
So... I'm embarrassed to say I've hade this beast for a long time... and the ride is miserable, but I'd been only doing relatively short drives through the canyons and has decent handling but after driving home from the car show an hour away I think I should try to do better.
Its a 72t and im certain the shocks are original. In the past id thought bilsteins would be the ticket for that gnarly corner carving ripper... Now I want a comfortable ride, I figure the handling will still be light years beyond any other car we have.
Suggestions?
I have a newer car than yours an ‘88 Carrera. Until last year I had the original suspension on it and it was also lowered. I purchased a complete suspension restoration rebuild kit from elephant racing which included Bilstein HD shocks and inserts. It raised the suspension a little bit ( not enough that i had to lower it again, it’s still lower than stock) since all of the bushings were compressed and needed replacement. The first thing I noticed was that the car had a much better ride, much more compliant and actually comfortable. Before it was very stiff due to a worn out suspension. I waited a long time to do this since I am the original owner, but it was well worth doing. Hope that helps.
Old 07-11-2023, 12:13 PM
bmwexpat
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 68 Posts

I also have a 1972 911 Targa. Like you the ride had deteriorated to the point where it as still fun but it was time to do something. The bad news is due to age your car requires a lot more than just new shocks. All your rubber bushings in your control arms, tie rods, & rear suspension are worn out as well. I just got my car back on the road after a complete refresh of the entire suspension, brake caliper rebuild, and wheel bearing replacements. What a difference!

The call you need to make is Elephant Racing. They can provide a complete turnkey solution for you. Depending on how handy you are or are not, Elephant will put the new bushings on your control arms if you send them to Elephant. Depending on what you choose to replace, expect to spend $4-10K on a full suspension and brake refresh.
Old 07-11-2023, 12:32 PM
Dr. 914
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 202 Likes on 145 Posts

as we age the torsion bar suspension seems to get rougher on us!!! Make sure that the shocks are good, and if not replace them with the boge sachs variety

Quick Reply: Rough rider