Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

A/C Fan Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 06:36 PM
Fly911SC
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Fan Noise

I just had the A/C on my 79 911SC serviced. It is blowing pretty cool now. However, I am experiencing an awful sound made by the fan/blower emitting from the vents and appears to be behind/below the dash. I'm wondering if the fan is going bad. Is this the fan in what I had read "the smuggler's box"? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I tried a new product verses R12 called Freeze 12. The mechanic put it right in on top of the R12 still in the system. I will say, it seems to be as cold as it ever was. Plus, it's $9 a can. Anyone else experienced this product?
Thanks!
Craig
Old 05-23-2004, 11:18 AM
kksarver
Intermediate

If it is the fan you have a job ahead of you. Fan can be removed from evaporator box (old gas heater location) but it will be a little difficult. First check and see if something is wedged in the vent slots for the fan motor itself.
When checking mine in past for same problem the foam cover that goes over the slots had deterioratd enough to be draw into the fan.
If you have to remove the fan be careful not to stress the freon lines, expansion valve and most importantly the temp sensor line.

Do you have the name/manufacturer of the freon you mentioned?

I am currently replacing all the lines on my 86 an staying with R-12. At $55 a pound it is expensive.

Good Luck
Old 05-23-2004, 02:06 PM
Fly911SC
3rd Gear

Well, I will start looking into that. Honestly, I didn't even know about the smugglers box until researching yesterday. I assume this fan is in the housing inside this box? Any online or written assitance you know about in accomplishing what you have written?

You can go to www.freeze12.com to read on the product. I must say, the mechanic did not follow their suggestions to a T. I will update you on how effective if remains in the GA heat. So far so good. He did say they have been using the product for a few years with great success.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:01 AM
jcjblo
Intermediate

There is a quick fix for the noisy motor - drill a small hole on top of the motor housing and spray lubricant onto the motor through this hole. Good chance this will cure it - it cured mine.

Quick Reply: A/C Fan Noise