Media Blasting

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2023, 11:38 AM
MoMcC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Media Blasting

Hello good people,
I have a 1978 911 SC with paint peeling off in 2 places. WTHeck? I'm thinking I need to go back to metal everywhere....since it seems to have already begun. Is media blasting the best, cost effective way to do that?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-28-2023, 02:51 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,112 Posts

only if you plan to strip the car down to a shell and restore it.
Otherwise, pull the glass/trim/etc, tape it up, start sanding. fix issues. prime. paint.

Just know this is very much a slippery slope. This peeling paint, assume it's been painted prior?
Old 06-28-2023, 04:42 PM
MoMcC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are saying don't media blast. Why not? Isn't it quicker and easier than sanding?
My quote is $1,500 if I take off bumpers, trim, lights etc. He will tape everything else and leave me a 1/2 inch of paint around window rubber, etc.
I don't think it has been painted before....I can't find overspray anywhere....But, maybe.
Old 06-29-2023, 12:33 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Originally Posted by MoMcC
I think you are saying don't media blast. Why not? Isn't it quicker and easier than sanding?
My quote is $1,500 if I take off bumpers, trim, lights etc. He will tape everything else and leave me a 1/2 inch of paint around window rubber, etc.
I don't think it has been painted before....I can't find overspray anywhere....But, maybe.
It makes a MASSIVE mess. You will spend 5x that cleaning the car to allow it to get to paint.

This is just my experience, I haven't generally seen people to blasting unless doing a full disassemble on the car. And even then, they prefer to dip the car.

Old 06-30-2023, 12:16 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
It makes a MASSIVE mess. You will spend 5x that cleaning the car to allow it to get to paint.

This is just my experience, I haven't generally seen people to blasting unless doing a full disassemble on the car. And even then, they prefer to dip the car.
^^^ This

what areas of the car are flaking. it sounds like rear quarters? You planning on painting the entire car or just the areas the areas that need attention.? Makes a world of difference on prep and color matching.

If you have a compressor, it really doesn't take that long to knock down the paint to bare metal. And you get a great arm workout!! for free .

even if you media blast it, how are you planning on sanding, the primer, the epoxy coat and if doing single stage, the painted color? Have you painted a car before?

Quick Reply: Media Blasting