My new ride - 87 Carrera Targa

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004 | 01:42 AM
Steve87-911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by amjf088
Hi Steve!

First, congratulations on the car! It looks super.

Second, thanks for your insight on the buying process. I've ordered some books on 911 hunting from Amazon to complement my Porsche library, but I'm keen to investigate the resource you mentioned. Do you have a URL for it?

I'm also curious as to how long you spent on your search and how many cars you looked at in person (just general interest).

Thanks!

Allan
Hi Allan,

I looked casually on and off for about a year, mostly over autotrader. After that and a bit of research I knew I wanted an 87-89. G-50 and all. But I drove a friend's 83 SC (fun!) and had no trbl with the tranny. It seemed smooth to me and the gears weren't hard to find, but maybe that's because I'm part German...ha.

Then I looked as a ready-buyer for about a month. (not long, I know.) I only looked at 3 of them in person. This car just jumped out above the rest, I could find no real flaws except for that squeaky top...squeaks a bit on big bumps. But I'll fix that, thanks to Jeremy's tips. I figure if you are willing to dish out $20k or more, you can find something similar. Maybe even less money depending on where you live or buy. I ended up travelling 300 miles to see it...and had a delightful 300 mile trip back home with it.

The 911 Secrets Revealed book link is: http://www.performance2and4.co.uk/guides964_n.htm

There may be better books for all I know, but this helped a lot. Good luck.

Thanks,
-Steve
Old 05-27-2004 | 01:45 AM
Steve87-911
Track Day

Originally posted by mschafer71
cool white tennis shoes in the door reflection. Looks like the paint is sweet, congradulations on a classic piece of german engineering!!
Ha, my shoes. Yes, the paint is nearly perfect...really amazing since it is definately original. Thanks!
-Steve
Old 05-27-2004 | 01:49 AM
Steve87-911
Track Day

Originally posted by g-50cab
...Congrats on the car - Targas are great multipurpose - G-50 carreras as special - and the 87 is the year!
Thanks Jeremey. Now will someone please tell me how to stop driving this thing everywhere I go? I want it to last a long time...but I just gotta go zoom zoom. My other cars are just no fun anymore.
-Steve
Old 05-27-2004 | 12:27 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Sorry - you have been ruined - As my wife told me - "you know - I just don't think we could ever get another sportscar after driving a Porsche, I have been ruined..."

Yeah honey - but what a way to go.

My best friend just bought a Porsche 911 Cab after driving mine - He called me (and called me a D!ck!) for introducing him to the 911 - Of course, I took it one step further with him and shared my car at a DE at Sebring and he has the track bug so I'm sure bigger swear words will come out of his mouth...
Old 05-27-2004 | 04:21 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 99 Posts

Steve,

Thanks for the info and the link. The buyer's guides at this site sound very practical and will likely make a good addition to my 911 library.

Thanks again!

Allan

Quick Reply: My new ride - 87 Carrera Targa