Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Air Cooler Scoops

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 03:51 AM
Tongel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Cooler Scoops

I see from the Performance Products catalogue that they sell a "cooler scoop" which is to be installed on the bumper at the sides replacing the rubber trim. Has anyone tried it and does it actually work in increasing airflow to the fender-mounted Oil Cooler ?
Old 05-21-2004, 10:13 AM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It does work, but only when moving at a good clip. I use it to reduce my temps when on the track. If I need more cooling, I remove my turn signal. BTW, you can buy the same scoop from Vertex for about $79. vertexauto.com

BTW, I'm assuming that you have a Carrera Style cooler in your car. If you have a trombone cooler then it won't do much.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:26 PM
Singpilot
Advanced

Exactly as Noel says. I commute from Vegas to LA. Temps run 20C cooler at speed (anything above 45MPH). I have the Carrera cooler, no fan. I run the AC all the way across the desert, never see above 230 at the top of the grades.

It is actually the clearance light, not the rubber trim that gets removed. Turn signal stays in.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:52 PM
JMPRO
Intermediate

On most euro models the side lights or clearance lights are rubber strips which must be removed to access the hole where the cooler scoop mounts.
Jerry
Old 05-23-2004, 11:54 PM
Tongel
Intermediate

The thing is..... if I am driving at a fair clip, the temperature is pretty low anyway. I have a Carrera style-cooler with fan in my right fender and have just ordered a B&B Cooler which I intend to install in my left fender. Might still buy the scoops anyway as they don't cost much. Thanks all for feedback.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:32 PM
john d 81SC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW,

My 81 SC suffers from high oil temps when I track it, in spite of having replaced the trombone oil coiler with the Euro oil cooler. Drove at Pocono this past Saturday with the right marker light removed, and noticed an improvement in cooling. Awaiting delivery from Vertex on the oil cooler scoop to see how much it helps at upcoming Jeff Circuit/Summit Point DE at end of June - which should be a very good test.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:21 PM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Has anyone made the scoop themselves?
Old 05-28-2004, 06:44 PM
john d 81SC
Racer

I've heard from friends that they have seen home-made fabricated scoops that LOOK like they been home-made. They may be functional, but from an aesthetic standpoint I'm told they look pretty funky. BTW yesterday I happened to see the one appearing in Vertex on a car - looks pretty good. Considering that my car still looks pretty decent, I'm glad that I ordered one.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:40 PM
Paulporsche
Track Day

I have the hood scoop, coupled with Euro front fender cooler, without fan.

I have also removed the guts from my right side fog light, drilled out the back of the housing, and added a guide to help direct the air. I finished off the face of the housing with expanded metal screen used to keep leaves out of eavestroughs. Since my chassis is a 77, I also cut away part of the underside of the bumper, similar to the SC.

This works pretty well on my engine, which is an 80SC 3L enlarged to 3.2. It all works best when moving. however, in August heat and humidity, I can still hit 250 if I am sitting in traffic too long. This goes back down once I get moving again.

BTW, make sure you are not running too lean or too far advanced, as these can cause overheating. And be sure the engine is clean.

Paul
Old 06-01-2004, 10:06 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

I made my own. The digi camera is down so I can't take a pic of it. I made mine out of carbon. Glass would work fine too. I am sure the one for sale probably looks more finished although mine is pretty good. The bonus, and the main reason I made my own, is that my scoop has two major benefits. First the front face of the scoop is square to the direction of travel so it catches more air coming off the bumper area. The production scoop looked like it faired back a bit and I didn't want to loose that air. Secondly my scoop is probably 150% the size of the production part. With my trombone cooler I was seeing 250deg at the track on 70deg days. So, I upgraded to a Carrera cooler and my scoop. I am probably 20-30 degrees cooler now.

Quick Reply: Air Cooler Scoops