Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Replacing '71 911 Brake Pedal Return Spring

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 09:52 AM
offroadAdv
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Replacing '71 911 Brake Pedal Return Spring

I am putting my 1971 911T back on the road and need to replace the brake return spring. I have the part, have unbolted the plate holding the clutch and brake pedal, detached the brake master cylinder and clutch cable, but despite having the official Porsche Shop Repair Manual, cannot find information on how to detach the pedals from the pivot rod they ride on to install the spring. I began this project because the brake pedal would not return once stepped on. The brake return spring didn't return the pedal, but there is not a visible break in the spring. Hopefully the new replacement brake pedal return spring will resolve the problem, but at the moment I am feeling stuck for lack of more information on how to do this job. Have any other owners had experience with this repair and if so, what tips can you provide to this middling, muddling would be mechanic? Thanks for any advice you might have.

This old car deserves to get back on the highway after a long rest in my basement. I replaced the original 2.1 engine with a 1984 3.2 Motronic fuel injection engine from Knightex Engineering about 20 years ago. I also put in a 915 transmission to handle all the new power. Lately I have heard the siren call of the twisting mountain roads near my home in the mountains of Western NC. Any help you can provide on how to replace the pedal return spring will be appreciated.
Edited to add this request: If you know of another site where my question could be raised, please let me know

Last edited by offroadAdv; 05-19-2023 at 10:05 AM. Reason: To seek other source of information
Old 05-19-2023, 11:48 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

Pelican is the best resource for anything technical there air cooled technical site id second to none.

All i can really tell you is if you have your assembly out and on a work bench a vice helps and some big channel locks. When i did what you are doing i completely disassembled the entire thing , painted it and put in all new bronze bushings ( you can by them in a kit ) .
Old 05-19-2023, 12:54 PM
offroadAdv
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by theiceman
Pelican is the best resource for anything technical there air cooled technical site id second to none.

All i can really tell you is if you have your assembly out and on a work bench a vice helps and some big channel locks. When i did what you are doing i completely disassembled the entire thing , painted it and put in all new bronze bushings ( you can by them in a kit ) .
Thank you, theiceman. I appreciate the prompt reply and your suggestion. I will check out Pelican for their technical pages. I actually bought the return spring from them, and realized I should be getting the bushings after looking at the play on the end piece.
Old 05-19-2023, 01:25 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

The brake return spring and pedal bushings can be quite the bear for experienced wrenches so don't feel challenged , yes Pelican has the bushings and associated replacement parts ..
The rod is removed by punching out a dowel pin on one end ..
One suggestion there are a few guys on Pelican that make a hobby of restoring the entire pedal assembly and will take yours in trade for a nominal
fee.
Just an FYI, Bert
Old 05-19-2023, 02:13 PM
offroadAdv
3rd Gear

Thank you, Bert.
I appreciate your ideas and your suggestion. I need to call or get on line with Pelican for some other parts in addition to the brake spring repair. I will find out about their exchange program for rebuilding the unit. Most of my wrenching is seat of the pants stuff. When I first bought this Targa back in the 80's I had to pull the engine out every three months to replace the pivot bolt that serves as a fulcrum for the clutch fork. The previous owner had some over the top clutch put in that was killing his legs to depress (and eventually mine.) Once I faced the eventual need of a rebuild of the 2.1 engine and found out that the magnesium engine case head bolts could not be removed without tearing up the threads (necessitating single use inserts), I went for the engine swap and 915 transmission. That changeover eliminated a lot of my problems. Sure wish I had kept that old 2.1 engine and transmission for the purists, but the car was my daily driver for many years with the newer equipment and required much less maintenance.

Quick Reply: Replacing '71 911 Brake Pedal Return Spring