Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

First Air Cooled -- Help Me Get Off the Merry-Go-Round

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 10:38 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
you can see from my sig i have some M-car experience (not nearly all are listed) as well and was always a big fan of the e36 M3. fantastic all-around car, even with only 240hp. here's the thing i hear you saying that will be the rub - the older cars are slow and certainly will be compared to a 992TT. i love the late aircooloed cars for what they offer - a somewhat modern feel that has the lineage and direct connection back to the early aircooled cars. that upright windshield, being able to reach over and touch the pass door, the iconic dash... it's all still there. thing is, they are also not fast. quick maybe, but they're momentum cars just like the e36 M3. the good thing is, you can wring their necks on the street and enjoy the powerband.

i sold my 997S for similar reasons to you - too composed, you could never really explore the limits, and even the 997 felt a bit large. you clearly like the turbo/WB look, but only the 993tt will offer something to combat the lag of the single turbo cars. it would seem the 993tt is the best conclusion. many say that the 996 GT3 has the 'feel' of the smaller aircooled cars and offers much better performance. i agree with that and the 6.2 GT3 is a perfect compliment to my 964 and 993WB. not sure if that was on your radar at all, but it might be worth a consideration. not to mention, it would only take half your budget, so you can still add a sweet 964NB to the party.
Yes, the GT3 has the older 911 feel and still has modern amenities inside, but it lacks the looks of some of the classics.

I would seriously consider a 964 RSA, if you really want a more raw drive.

My second pick would be the ‘87 or ‘88 Carrera if a more civil ride is desired. The G50 transmission is a much better manual.

Any air cooled car is going to seem a bit lethargic compared to a modern car and you will be giving up safety equipment that you might be taking for granted. It’s a different kind of 911, but that could be charm you need.

As others have said, drive as many cars as possible and see what speaks to you. Even cars of the same year can be very different, depending on mods.

Also, is that a pocket watch internals I see?

Last edited by Marv; 06-07-2023 at 10:43 PM.

Quick Reply: First Air Cooled -- Help Me Get Off the Merry-Go-Round