Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1973 911 e value

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 07:22 AM
Greg Sucher
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1973 911 e value

I'm looking for some expert help on pricing a 73 E Targa, 2.4. It just had a complete engine rebuild (8,300.00) w/receipts. The car has original fuchs, bumpers, etc. Oil door is even still there. Only needs the seats recovered. Not sure if it has any s options. The guy is asking 9,000.00. I'm very tempted and was wondering if it was worth it? Big thanks.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:41 AM
James Achard
Pro

Greg, If it has an external oil door then it's a '72. The big thing to look for on these cars is rust. Does the car have good records. The price sounds good otherwise if everything checks out.

Cheers, James
Old 05-19-2004, 10:54 AM
Greg Sucher
AutoX

Default 72 E 911

Thanks James!

I'll have to have a closer look at this E. It does have the oil door. I couldn't see rust but of course there could be plenty in the rockers and pans. From what I could see from the windows, the floor pans look very good.

The guy also said he had the suspension and brakes rebuilt. I'll grab my books and copy the vin and engine numbers and have a look underneath.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:42 AM
James Achard
Pro

Greg, My favourite tool for checking rust is an ice pick. Go under the car and give it a good stab in all the usual areas(logitudonals, front pan, battery box area etc.). This will not damage the car since the underbody will cover the ice pick mark but will give you a very good idea on how good the tub is. The underbody paint on these cars is very thick and can mask alot of rust.

Cheers, james
Old 05-19-2004, 12:15 PM
LakeCleElum
Intermediate

Greg: This is a good deal is there if no rust....I had to replace the front belly pan of an old 912 once due to rust and it's a big project. If you have the oil door, this is a '72. It should also have mechanical fuel injection instead of the later (73.5) CIS injection. This is good if you want to modifty the engine later. You can add bigger cam's without upsetting the fuel flow. Guys like Bruce Anderson rate this year/model as the best of the older 911's. Go for it!!!!!!!

Bob S.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:49 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

All of the above... all a matter of rust. No rust = stone cold steal at $9K... rust = be careful... although if it is otherwise very clean, and the rust is repairable for a few k, it might not be a bad buy... but rust repairs can quickly spiral out of control....

Also is the paint new or old? If the paint (and definately be suspicious of new looking undercoating) is fairly old, and you can;t see any rust, that is a positive. Also targas leak... so be especially careful with floorpans... check the pedal box, water can accumulate there.

How is the targa top and seals... you can spend well over $1K redoing the top and seals properly.

If the engine was done by a reputable shop that is a huge, huge plus. $8K is about right for a top notch rebuild. Also is the MFI redone? that can cost a $1K to do right... although the MFI is IMHO the best system ever as far as drivability is concerned when it is set up properly

Quick Reply: 1973 911 e value