1985 Carrera Snappy Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2023 | 10:00 AM
Klunker911
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1985 Carrera Snappy Clutch

Hi All,
Just took delivery of my 85 Carrera cab last November so really just getting the opportunity to drive her (finally thawing out in NH). I've noticed that the clutch is what I would call "snappy"....inconsistent force is needed (more at the top) to depress the pedal and as you lift your foot the upward force from the pedal seems to increase the higher you lift so if you aren't very careful it is easy to stall in 1st gear. Not as noticeable as you go up from there but still 'snappy". I am new to Porsche but not to stick shift. I learned on them and have owned many and usually after a few drives you get the hang of that clutch and it becomes second nature. The action is so unusual on the Porsche that I couldn't imagine using this as a daily driver in any kind of traffic (I don't for what its worth). The clutch was new by the PO at 45k and it currently has 66k. Does this sound like an adjustment issue or is this a symptom of a worn out clutch? Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom!
Old 04-11-2023 | 10:19 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

well a porsche clutch is unusual in that the clutch pivots at the bottom and most pivot from the top, and it is a cable with no hydraulics so it will require a bit of learing, but i drive mine in traffic all the time with zero issues, i wonder if this is some type of performance clutch with a different pressure plate. Certainly adjustments can be made. I would do some research on clutch adjustments and verify yours first.
Old 04-15-2023 | 07:42 PM
Klunker911
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not a performance clutch. Found the part number in the PO maintenance records and it's your standard replacement. I have to take it in for a check-up soon so I'll ask my mechanic if there is something that can be done. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2023 | 12:20 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 99 Posts

It is a cable actuated clutch, so certainly have your mechanic evaluate the condition of the cable. This would normally be an item renewed with the clutch itself, but still good to be checked. Also, there seem to be significant quality differences between OEM cables and aftermarket. However, I have no direct experience of this, have only used OEM.

Aside from the clutch itself, there are return springs both at the transmission end of the cable and also at the clutch pedal. Check both and also check that the orientation of the spring at the transmission (underside of transmission) is correct. That spring is often termed the omega spring (due to its shape) and it is a bit of an odd duck, and may be installed a little wrong. Here is from when I installed the cable on my own '85... it is at the left-center close to the heat exchanger.

Last edited by 500; 04-17-2023 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-18-2023 | 05:22 PM
Skidog214
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

WOW! That is a very clean undercarriage!

Quick Reply: 1985 Carrera Snappy Clutch