Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Bought a 1978 911 SC TMU

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 05:30 PM
darwistj1
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Bought a 1978 911 SC TMU

I've been reading these threads for a long time but just recently joined as a member, as I just purchased an 1978 Porsche 911SC.

My question to the group is around the title notation of "odometer discrepancy". It was unknown at the time of purchase and the price I paid did not take this into account. All parties recognize that this was not disclosed and we would all like to work toward a resolution.

The seller is willing to work with me on this and I would still like to purchase the car, but I still want to feel good about the purchase. Any recommendations on % off purchase price or what I should ask for reimbursement here?
Old 03-22-2023, 05:40 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

not even close to enough information. was it off 1 mile 100,000 miles ??

did you pay under market for it like 20K did you pay parket 40-55 K did you pay over 60 -70 K

The following users liked this post:
darwistj1 (03-22-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 06:26 PM
darwistj1
Track Day

Originally Posted by theiceman
not even close to enough information. was it off 1 mile 100,000 miles ??

did you pay under market for it like 20K did you pay parket 40-55 K did you pay over 60 -70 K

Thank you the iceman.

My total costs all in before taxes was 35k. I was happy with that price in its current condition (some mechanical and exterior issues to resolve before I can drive it and some potential unknowns as I was unable to fully inspect) The odometer shows 135K but the odometer discrepancy apparently goes back to title from 1991 (3 transfers of ownership since). No one is able to provide me with odometer readings from past, but the odometer does currently work. We were all happy with the price paid prior to the odometer discrepancy showing on the title.

I will provide any info or answer questions for more clarity if needed. Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Old 03-22-2023, 06:40 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

Well you know i think 35K ia great deal for an SC , especially if it is clean and rust free...

What i would d is have the seller pay for a PPI ( in this case post purchase inspection ) to determine engine health. As the rest you could have inspected before you bought and paid based on how it looks, the only thing you can not see really is engine health. If the PPI comes back clean and good compresion and numbers personally i wouldnt sweat it and maybe ask for some token amount for the annoyance. If the PPI comes back with issues, talk to the seller about covering these in lieu of wrong milage.
The following users liked this post:
darwistj1 (03-22-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 06:52 PM
darwistj1
Track Day

Originally Posted by theiceman
Well you know i think 35K ia great deal for an SC , especially if it is clean and rust free...

What i would d is have the seller pay for a PPI ( in this case post purchase inspection ) to determine engine health. As the rest you could have inspected before you bought and paid based on how it looks, the only thing you can not see really is engine health. If the PPI comes back clean and good compresion and numbers personally i wouldnt sweat it and maybe ask for some token amount for the annoyance. If the PPI comes back with issues, talk to the seller about covering these in lieu of wrong milage.
Appreciate the perspective here on approach.

Quick Reply: Bought a 1978 911 SC TMU