Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Pre-purchase advice 1988 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 09:56 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

what is the purpose of that strut running from the gearbox to the heat exchanger ? never seen that before .
Old 03-23-2023, 11:05 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

I like the rear seat !
Looks like you’re getting the euro spec engine which has 237 hp , and looking at the car with the new pictures i would say it’s in pretty good condition.
No cracks or visible wear on the seats is also a good indicator of how the car was maintained …
The sport seats in my 89 have no cracks or visible wear , even on the bolsters but i do rub in a good leather conditioner two or three times a year, although i haven’t driven my car much in the last two years, nevertheless let us know how much you got the car for !

Cheers
Phil
Old 03-23-2023, 02:20 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

That car looks very tidy indeed from the pictures. All panel gaps look good, the hinge area is clean (often can look ratty on a cheaply re-painted car) and the engine looks 100% stock (and even has what appears to be a newer OE filter - just a small clue that this car got proper treatment).

The only thing strange is (as you pointed out) the rear seat bottoms. That is new to me, I have never seen that before.

However, the seat upholstery tucks under the side panels. The lower sections of the side panels have hard plastic backing and fit over the carpet quite snugly. So, either the seats were that way from the start, or whoever did the subsequent work took the time to fit it well.

Front compartment looks good, but as I mentioned before, look very closely at the area under and around the battery, and at the floor just in front of the fuel tank. Corrosion there is due to battery acid leakage. For environmental-related corrosion issues, the two main trouble spots are deep in the kidney bowls (forward end of rear wheel wells) and the area above the front bumper shock mounting. These are two spots where muck and crap flung up from the wheels can accumulate over time. If it is corrosive (e.g., salt) and not cleaned out regularly, it could result in corrosion after all this time, despite the galvanized body.

Looking at the pictures, I don't expect this car to have corrosion issues, but you will want to check carefully no matter what.

Good luck!

Lovely color BTW...
Old 03-23-2023, 02:59 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

It is interesting that "it lived most of its life in Japan". Most cars in Japan are RHD, though the higher-end Porsche models are available as LHD. I think it might feel weird driving on the left side of the road in a LHD drive car.

Quick Reply: Pre-purchase advice 1988 Carrera