Metal part inside fuel tank fell off

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 04:54 AM
tc101
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal part inside fuel tank fell off

Hi all,

I've been trying to get a 1988 3.2 Carrera back on the road. I was cleaning the fuel tank but while tossing it around this metal case came loose from the roof and dropped to the floor of the tank.

Anyone know what this is? Does this mean ill need to get a new tank?

Thanks,
Tim

Old 03-21-2023, 08:17 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

No idea, never saw that before. Looks like it's too big to fish out? I think you can leave it, the fuel is drawn from the swirl pot, so it shouldn't block anything.

Here is the inside of a similar CIS tank. No sign of anything like that: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-gas-tank.html

Mark
Old 03-21-2023, 10:21 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Counterpoint:

You have a sizable, rusty, flaky piece of metal (whose purpose you don't know) floating around in a rusty fuel tank.

In a car you are probably investing a lot of time and effort into.

Old 03-22-2023, 12:50 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTorch
Counterpoint:

You have a sizable, rusty, flaky piece of metal (whose purpose you don't know) floating around in a rusty fuel tank.

In a car you are probably investing a lot of time and effort into.
Good point. I'm not too worried about that large, square, shiny piece. But yeah, all those loose flakes are a problem. You'll need to get those all out of there, and any other bits that are not loose now but will come loose later.

Remove the tank, wash out as much rust as you can, then fill with apple cider vinegar or EvapoRust, and drop in a chain (like a bike chain). Let it soak, then swirl it around, allowing the chain to scrub the inside of the tank clean.

Make sure to remove the strainer off the bottom and flush the inside of the swirl pot.

Don't think about using any of those interior fuel tank coating kits - the coating won't stick to the plastic swirl pot and it will leave you with an even bigger mess.

Mark

Quick Reply: Metal part inside fuel tank fell off