Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New Struts / Shocks? Or Go Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 10:21 PM
goatfarmer1970
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New Struts / Shocks? Or Go Nuts

I have a favor to ask of the RL family. I have read a ton of posts (and I swear that I am a competent searcher / not lazy), but I want to bring it up again, as it is time to replace the struts / shocks all the way around on my 101-K-mile 87 Carrera coupe. I normally have a good sense of what I want to do, but over the years, I have made many mistakes (especially as it relates to suspension mods), so I want to be realistic about my intended use and get it right this time. Therefore, I pose the question: what is the most reasonable thing to do for a street-driven (but not daily-driven) G-body coupe? How it drives is my chief concern (rather than cost), but I don't want to be a moron either / I do care about resale, just in case I find that Mexico blue 930 for sale one day. For reference, my past mistakes have been to make cars too low, too stiff, and to F-up the camber and toe, because I used to do make track-day considerations part of the equation. But now, this is just a street toy -- primary use will be to drive 80 miles each way for a burger that is not even as good as the burger right by my house. TIA for your help.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:05 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

i threw on shocks all around without anything else and it didn't break the bank. I did an alignment after but the guy said it was perfect and needed no adjustment. I mean sure you can throw all kinds of money at it , but i think for bang for the buck Bilstein inserts up front ( for boge shocks ) , and a couple of shocks on the back i think would go a long way.

I went with sports all around but there are many options , HD/sports combo or customized valving for example.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:30 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 169 Posts

On a G car Bilstein Sports all around is the usual choice , on the non G some people prefer the HD/Sports combo due to the rear of the car being lighter ... i went with
Bilstein Sports all around on my 89 and i'm totally satisfied.
Definitely shop around as the prices can vary a lot ...

Cheers
Phil
Old 03-16-2023, 04:01 PM
Dr. 914
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 202 Likes on 145 Posts

I would install bilstein hd (the standard bilstein) and be done with it. The cars originally came with boges which were adequate but did not last that long (In years of life) Bilstein will last almost forever and give a much better more balanced ride (between around the block driving and high speed track runs
The following users liked this post:
Silversun262 (03-16-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 08:50 PM
Silversun262
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts

I did the B sports all around on my 86 Targa. Lowered it to euro spec height and had it aligned and corner balanced. Car rides like new and on rails.
Old 03-17-2023, 01:26 AM
goatfarmer1970
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup, thanks all. That is the plan. And I must say (and give credit to the engineers) that the car is decent on 37-year-old OEM shocks...so surprising and impressive...but clearly time to refresh. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: New Struts / Shocks? Or Go Nuts