Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Folding rear wing on an ´84 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2001, 04:38 PM
carlitox33
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Folding rear wing on an ´84 Carrera

Guys, perhaps I´m going insane, but after taking off the "whale tail" to the silver turbolook I´ve just bought, I recently saw one of the newer cars "fold" down the wing on slowing traffic, and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Anyone knows the cost & effort involved in fitting this (and if it is possible at all)

Thanks...
Old 10-29-2001, 01:10 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 349 Posts
If your car is a Turbo look, lets say 84 to 87, the wing (not foldable) is of a specific size to reduce body lift, and in the case of the Turbo tail, possibly provide some minimal downforce. The Turbo tail is matched to the front spoiler. Igf you have removed the Turbo tail, you should also remove the front rubber spoiler. To test this theory, read The 911 Story by Paulo Frere where he discusses in detail, the purpose of spoilers and wings.

My point, spoilers and tails are part of an aerodynamic system, designed to address the lift characteristics of individual models. It may not be advisable to mix and match these componets, especially if you have the opportunity to drive at very high speed which we are denied in the US.

However, if you must change the Tail, you should provide the companion front spoiler.

Can you put a 964 or 993 spoiler on an earlier car, I suppose you can. If you do, you may have altered the high speed stability of your car...it is your decision.
Old 10-29-2001, 04:39 AM
Stephen Masraum
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He's right, but to answer your question more directly. Yes you can put a power tail on an earlier 911 relatively simply. It requires some modifications to the hinges because the 964's had different hinges than the earlier cars (I think I read that from Jack Olsen's experience). But you cannot easily make the action automatic. You would add a switch and flip the tail up and down manually.

As far as aerodynamic considerations. The gist of the front/rear spoiler issue is that if you remove the rear and leave the front in place you actually create more lift in the rear because of a "teeter-totter" effect. This could result in high speed oversteer. Can you say "Scaaaa-ry!" I have on my car since I bought it, and have heard of others who have had on their cars the front spoiler only and haven't had any problems, but that doesn't mean I won't. Actually I am dying to get a rear spoiler on my car, but that may have to wait.
Old 10-29-2001, 05:56 AM
Rob McConnell
Racer

I used to own an 84 with retractable spoiler, never had any problems with downforce at high speeds, quite happily did 155 mph as claimed. i am not sure if it made any difference but it had the whole 964 look including the 17" cup wheels. But as i said no problems on the motorway. If yours is a turbolook and not a turbo surly the turbo tail is just to match the body anyway. But as the guys said previously you have to raise and lower it manually, unless you can borrow some bits from a 964 but it all starts to get comlicated then. Its up to you.

Regards Rob
964 C2 Cab
Jersey, UK
Old 10-29-2001, 08:18 AM
Bryan Moore
Advanced

I researched this same modification for my '80 SC. The complications are as follows. Hinges - a minor problem, just use the 964 hinges.

Air conditioning - There's no room under the 964 decklid for the SC-style condenser. You either need to do some serious engineering or lose your A/C.

Aerodynamics - One response I received stated that the 964 wing provides more engine cooling but no aerodynamic benefit, but I'm not sure I believe it. From what I've been told and what I've read, none of the tails actually provide downforce - all they do is reduce lift at the rear of the car. The RS ducktail supposedly reduces lift from something like 360 lbs to about 95 lbs (I'm not sure at what speed). The 930 turbo tail (the one with the rubber edge) supposedly reduces lift to zero. I would guess that the other tails are somewhere in between. If you test the upper limits of the car from time to time, it's probably wise to do some additional research on the aerodynamic effects of the change you're planning.

I've ended up with a ('76-style) turbo "whale tail" - probably as much for appearance as for function.

Quick Reply: Folding rear wing on an ´84 Carrera