Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

mirrors NOT TILTING anymore! WHYYYY!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 11:32 AM
jgurnari
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry mirrors NOT TILTING anymore! WHYYYY!!

First the Driver side, then the Pass side stopped tilting.

This is what is happening:
No matter if I push the Directional switch to move mirrors, tilt or side to side, the mirrors ONLY move side to side. NO TILT!

What Ive done thus far:
1) removed motors from inside mirror housing...they work on 12v trans, tilt and side to side. its not the mirrors.
2) changed the mirror directional toggle switch on the upper door panel.
3) checked the pins in the connector housings (pictured) and harness.

My question at this point is,
1) are the correct wires, by color, connected to the correct corresponding wires at the toggle switch, mirrors to harness?...the harness has 1 or two different colors compared to the connectors from the mirrors. There is a YELLOW in the mirror, but no YELLOW in the harness, There is a grey wire on pass side harness but no grey in pass side mirror. Maybe you can spot something wrong in my pictures.
2) Why is there only 1 BROWN wire on the passenger side? only one at the mirror connector AND the harness coming from within the car...Driver side has 2 BROWN wires.
3) are the brown wires vital?... If so, What if there is only 1 on Pass side? OR are they simply for Heating to mirrors?...
4) anyone understand the color chart on the from of the toggle switch?. Why is there a GREEN and also YELLOW / BLACK pictured for one slot? (Pictured)

think I got the wire colors inserted correctly. But are the mirror wires right?!

Im asked "if you are the only person who drives the car what do you care about tilting?" Well, I hate when things dont work!!!

Any help would be appreciated...and I cant read schematics, unfortunately

pass side ..one brown wire

Driver side

Old 12-12-2022, 11:05 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

well this might sound stupid but ..

if they were working , but now not then the wire configuration is correct ..
Old 12-12-2022, 11:15 AM
jgurnari
7th Gear

i have taken the wires out since., possibly put them in wrong.. if not, then what changed is the question…. got to have a short or beak maybe. can’t find one.
Old 12-12-2022, 11:20 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jgurnari
i have taken the wires out since., possibly put them in wrong.. if not, then what changed is the question…. got to have a short or beak maybe. can’t find one.
i would think the only ones incorrect might be the ones on the switch , but i posted an old link. so that should help you there.. otherwise its meter and schematic time.. do you know motors haven't gone bad ?
Old 12-12-2022, 11:49 AM
jgurnari
7th Gear

they work when hooked up to a transformer
Old 12-12-2022, 11:56 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

gotta be a broken wire then need, to see if you see any voltage to the mirror wires that activate that part of the motor when activating switch.

did you look at the switch that switches from one mirror to the other ? it has to go there first before going to either mirror . did you check connections to that ?

Last edited by theiceman; 12-12-2022 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-12-2022, 12:33 PM
jgurnari
7th Gear

i did check the connection at the switch that is under the dash, right mirror to left.. connected and it works. even though it works right to left, could it still be that switch ?
Old 12-12-2022, 12:43 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jgurnari
i did check the connection at the switch that is under the dash, right mirror to left.. connected and it works. even though it works right to left, could it still be that switch ?
well all the signals have to go through there... i would see if you have output voltage from the switch when you toggle to one side then the other ..

I'm not sure how it works or how many wires are going to it .. but could you by pass it completely for one side and jumper the input wires to the output for one side for example ? i'm not sure i'm explaining myself well.

I would expect there is one common set of wires coming in , then goes to one side when flicked one way , then the other side when flicked the other way. should you not be able to remove that switch completely and just go direct from to one side or the other ?

how many wires go to that toggle switch ?

Quick Reply: mirrors NOT TILTING anymore! WHYYYY!!