Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Very strange problem, need help. Air blowin out of carb.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004 | 10:45 PM
Olav A.
Racer

Default Very strange problem, need help. Air blowin out of carb.

Hi everyone,

I have a strange problem I have not seen before (not that I have a lot of experience) where air/gas or something is being blown out may number 6 cylinder air horn of my carb.

I have a 85 3.2 with IDA 46 installed. Everything was working great until last week I was just exiting off Hwy 17 in onto Hwy 9 in Los Gatos CA when all of a sudden my car makes this very loud popping sound and I lose all my power.

I pulled over immediatly and cut the engine. Looking in the engine compartment there was gas blown all over the place from the carb, being blown out of the carb. Under the car there was a bunch of oil too. I'm thinking a lot of gas blew out and dragged the oil with it so it was oil/gas but I'm not sure. I inspected the engine for any obvious leaks but need to look more carefully.

I then started the car up and limped home about a quarter mile, with no power and a loud POP POP POP from my car #6.

I was looking at it today any my carbs seem fine I took the tops of and check them out.

I took out the spark plug has been gas washed nice and clean, not firing of course.

Is there some that's gone bad in my engine.

I had just had the valves adjusted and the chain tensioner housing seals replaced recently.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of problem.

Thanks very much,

Olav
Old 05-09-2004 | 11:16 PM
john walkers workshop
Racer

one of the rocker shafts came out and then the rocker fell off, is my guess. exhaust probably. that would account for the spitting and the oil leak. pull the lower cover and see. drain the oil first.
Old 05-09-2004 | 11:55 PM
Olav A.
Racer

Ok, will do.

How could something like this happen?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Very strange problem, need help. Air blowin out of carb.