Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Another Oil question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 04:59 PM
Lomaric
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Oil question

1975 911S 2.7L I am Porsche lover with a small checkbook but I am currently repairing and driving my car. The one thing that bothers me is the fact that I have 50-60 PSI shown on my oil pressure gauge (1500 RPM)at start-up and after 5-7 Mins of driving the pressure drops to near zero regardless of rpm. Also when checking the oil there is oil smoke coming out of the oil tank...is that normal? The car never reaches above the 210 mark so it doesnt get to hot. Anyone offer some feedback?

Aaron
Silverdale, WA
Old 05-04-2004, 06:16 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My guess would be that you have a pressure sender that is failing. When you say that you have 50-60PSI on your gauge are you talking about the gauge in the dash? If so, that is Bar not PSI. Depending on the oil you use people sometimes get the oil pressure Idiot light to turn on while idling, so this isn't unusual.

As far as the smoke goes, I will guess and say that it is not smoke but steam from water being burned off the oil. Since you don't get your car that hot water might be finding it's way into the oil via consensation. Also, another sure sign of water in oil is if you have a white sludge on the underside of the oil cap.

I hope this helps.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:28 AM
Lomaric
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks noel for the advice, I had no idea what the guage measured in on the dash. I run 10-30W oil and checked the underside of the oil cap but didnt see any sign of a white film, actually is a slight black film. I guess I might try ordering a new press sensor and see if it changes anything. I dont ever get an idiot light for oil, I replaced the oil sensor behind the air box a few months ago when my clumsy arms broke it during a clutch change so perhaps it wont give me troubles in the future.

Aaron

Quick Reply: Another Oil question