Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

help with speedo wiring on 84 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 11:57 PM
raceman77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with speedo wiring on 84 Carrera

l need help l sent my instruments to Palo Alto Speedometer for the white face treatment and some other changes and although l drew myself a diagram of the wire placement on the backs of the gauges l missed the speedo wire placement .Some of the wires l`ve got-ground,power,illumination,highbeam but l`m stuck on the others and there are a bunch.l have the Bentley manual but it`s not detailed enough.And to make things more challenging the wiring changes from 84 to 85 to 86 etc. So lf anyone has an 84 and they want to pull the speedo out from the dash without removing any wiring(easy to do)and perhaps pass on the needed info....l would be sooooo happy,you`d really be helping me out.thanks in advance
Old 05-04-2004, 01:00 AM
Jim Florance
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speedo Wiring

I did the same thing to my guages a year or so ago. If memory serves me there are two wires coming from the speedo sending unit and both of the sending units are brown with either a white or black stripe. If I remember correctly, one of the sending unit wires goes to the spade post marked "31B",on the speedo itself. The other sending unit wire goes to the ground post, marked "-"on the speedo. The sending unit relies on a magnetic pulse, the two wires are interchangable, you can put either wire on either spade post, it doesn't matter, it will work either way.

Now, I may be totally wrong about any or all of this, it's been a while since I did this, but I think I have it right and it did work for me.
Good luck.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:39 AM
raceman77
Advanced

wow,thanks amigo.Now if l can just get confirmation....
Old 05-05-2004, 01:43 PM
raceman77
Advanced

so no one else has an 84 out there?There`s a plastic molding along the back of the speedo where the connections are.At the top is the positive wire(easy) at the bottom the negative(easy) one is marked for the red/wht wire and the other connection is 31b.Well there are SEVERAL more wires that need to be attatched,they`ve got piggyback connectors to allow more then one to be placed on the tabs....anyone care to pull the speedo out from your dash and take a look?As most of you know it pulls right out easily with no need to disconnect anything...any help appreciated
Old 05-06-2004, 06:28 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Geeze, I was sure that I posted a reply last night. I can't see the back of mine and one must take off the steering wheel to pull it out. I sent mine to North Hollywood Clock and Speedo last fall and can't remember how the wiring went but I don't remember it being all that complicated. Hope this helps. It was sent to me originally by Allan Caldwell, one of the PCA Tech greats to help me with diagnose my tach issues! It did and should solve your problem too.
regards
Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2004, 01:51 AM
raceman77
Advanced

Steve,thanks for posting amigo,l really appreciate it.l needed the speedo info not the tach(we`re always looking at the tach aren`t we?) But don`t worry about it,l got lots of help on the Pelican board including a pic which was fantastic.You`re right about the tach being pretty straightforward,the speedo however has A LOT more wires,some piggybacked which makes it a guessing game without the factory schematic.The Bentley was helpful but not difinitive.But l got it now,thanks again
Old 05-07-2004, 02:04 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Geeze, Sorry, I missed read your post.
Steve

Quick Reply: help with speedo wiring on 84 Carrera