Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Passenger footrest / Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 09:00 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Randy dont get me wrong MDF is always the best material to use but in home applications there are usually no space issues, so you make your standard square wood design. But when working in small cars you use the fiberglass with the wood were you cannot get wood into. It is really not a weight issue. When i work on smaller cars and need to get a certain cubic footage in a certain area i would not be able to do it with using just wood because you cannot bend it. Were space is not an issue i always use 3/4MDF than if someone want a interesting disign i us fiberglass for costmetics to get the rounded designs. I am not into home myself and even though they are similiar in many ways they are totally different. By the way JL audios w6 line of woofers were tested last month in Car audio and the tech said it was the best sounding sub woofer ever tested by them. They have been testing car audio equipment for over 20yrs. JL is supose to intoduce a home line and from what i here it is going to be very impressive. I have read of some home speakers being upwards of $100,000 dollars. I would love to hear something like that. It was nice chatting
Old 05-06-2004, 12:07 PM
Tommy B
Instructor

thanks for the tips jb. like i said, i already have one of these under my belt and learned a lot from the experience.

about the resonance... i'm not too woried since the inside is usually pretty rough and bounces the air is many directions.

i'll snap some shots of my old box. the craftmanship is shotty, but it was my first attempt.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:46 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Tommy, resonance will cause other problems -- for example, a "buzzing" noise and an uneven output of some frequencies. No matter how you go, you want to avoid it.

FWIW....
Home: Cal Audio CD --> Sonic Frontiers pre ---> transistor amp ---> Maggies (which replaced my Vandersteen's)
Car: generic head unit ---> a/d/s ---> Focals in the doors -- no sub and 2 small rear deck speakers for fill. My interest is in a decent mid-range and absolute minimal wt.

Good Luck!
Old 05-06-2004, 05:12 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

tom, use polyfill in the box it will dampen the air waves. good luck

Quick Reply: Passenger footrest / Subwoofer