911S 1976 help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 12:41 AM
Tommy_PP
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911S 1976 help needed

Hi,

looking to get my first classic 911S 1976 and would like to check with you if numbers I was given make sense to the car

Vin 9116200032
eng 6560036
trans 915/44 7160101

thanks
Old 08-04-2022, 11:06 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

checks out .
6. year
2 . united states
number 32

engine is in the right range for that .

Old 08-06-2022, 11:42 PM
almico
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Mind if I pop into this thread? I just consummated a deal on a 1976 911S. Still trying to figure out how I'm going to get it from Spokane, WA to NJ, but that's another story. I asked the seller about driving it back and he said he wouldn't hesitate for a minute. Sounds like quite the adventure.

The car is mostly original @ 115k showing on the odometer with a recent glass out repaint to the original color. Lower valve covers upgraded to 930s. Oil fed hydraulic timing chain tensioners added, etc. Not sure about valve guides, but this car does not have the "delavar" cylinder head studs.

My question is about the exhaust. It was a CA car and still has all the original
smog gear. I'm in NJ and don't need it at all. Cars built before 1996 are completely exempt from inspection. So can I remove all that stuff without offending the "only original once" car gods?

The A/C is another issue. It has newer lines, but it still doesn't currently work. The condenser fills the entire space under the grill. Although I like my AC on those hot, muggy NJ summer days, I'm leaning toward just pulling all that bulk out. But then what do I do with the add-on venting under the dash?

​​​​​​​
Old 08-06-2022, 11:55 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 200 Likes on 158 Posts

Beautiful car, but you really should start your own thread rather than muddying up Tommy_PP's thread. I can see this discussion going for a while.

I'll answer here, but when you start another thread I'll reply to that too.

You can definitely get rid of all the original smog gear - most of us do that, unless you have a perfect concours car. You can get rid of the air pump in the engine compartment, the plumbing for the air injection, and the thermal reactors. Challenge with those will be removing the nuts without breaking any exhaust studs. Use lots of heat and go slowly. Replace them with SSI stainless heat exchangers or similar.

The old AC doesn't do much. You can remove the compressor in the engine compartment and all the hoses. Take the vents out from under the dash and replace with a used set of knee pads (try the Pelican Buy and Sell board). The evaporator will be in the smugglers box, pull that out too. Unfortunately that will leave a big hole in the side of the smugglers box that you can leave for now but eventually you probably should have it welded up. This is what I did with the AC system in my 1979, and I still have the big hole. Should save you over 100 lbs.

Here is a set of cork knee pads with the ashtray. Might actually look good matching the dash instead of black. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...knee-pads.html

All the old AC parts are in a big box in the attic, my kids can deal with it when I'm dead.

Mark
Old 08-07-2022, 12:25 AM
almico
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
Beautiful car, but you really should start your own thread rather than muddying up Tommy_PP's thread. I can see this discussion going for a while.
Thanks Mark. I figured Tommy's question was answered, but I'll repost on a separate thread.
Old 08-17-2022, 11:40 AM
almico
Instructor

xx

Quick Reply: 911S 1976 help needed