Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Tenax or Snaps on a 1983 Porsche SC Cab

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 07:30 PM
mlenox
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tenax or Snaps on a 1983 Porsche SC Cab

I just got a new boot cover from GAAH. They included 6 Tenax and 6 snap fasteners. The cover was not pre-drilled but hole locations are marked.

The cabriolet top on my car came with all snaps. no Tenax fasteners.

Does someone out there know what came OEM? I noticed that the 964 forum mentioned a combination of snaps for the back and inside and Tenax for the rest of the fasteners. BTW, I think that there are 14 fastener locations total on the cabriolet top.

GAAH is researching this, but their 'go-to' guy in the company, just passed away!

If anyone out there has a 1983 cab and knows the correct configuration, I would appreciate it!

Trying to stay true to the original.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:46 AM
alfetta
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

I have a total of 10 on my 85. 8 are the posts and 2 are the buttons. Not sure of the nomenclature. Not the original top but the boot cover is and it fits correctly.

Old 08-04-2022, 12:15 PM
alfetta
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Two more snaps

I forgot there are two more button style snaps on the inside of the B pillar for the boot cover but those are probably in place and have nothing to do with the top.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:12 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

From memory, I think my USA '85 is the same as @alfetta 's.

I infer that the logic of snap vs Tenax is:

Tenax are much more secure, so they are used wherever possible, which means everywhere except ...

Snaps are less secure, but for the two on the rear, there is a pretty tight clearance between the engine lid when lifting it up and the snaps. A Tenax might cause impact with the lid, which would not be good. In general, even with the lower profile snaps, I'm always careful when opening the engine lid to make sure nothing hits either the boot / full tonneau cover fabric or a snap.

Then in the interior, where the boot snaps in, snaps are used so no passengers or seatbelts get snagged on the Tenax studs.

If I had to guess now, I'd say I have 8 Tenax and 4 normal snaps (but I might have 2 snaps on each interior side, so 6 total).

A couple of years into my ownership, I went and bought a full tonneau cover, which covers the entire interior, up to the front of the dash, and alongside the door tops. I had to drill holes and install the Tenax studs in all those places. Worked great and am very happy I did it. I never use my boot any more, and hardly ever put the top up.
Old 08-06-2022, 11:07 AM
mlenox
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to all for the quick responses. I did a little additional research and found out that some (probably early builds) 911 SC's had snaps all around. I expect that they change to the Tenax / snap combo after they received complaints about the security of snaps only.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:39 PM
emac911
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

On my 87 I had two snaps in the back and the rest tenax, looks just like @alfetta pictures. Maybe an inside snap as well, I would have to check. I recently installed a cover from GAAH. Once I decided on where I wanted a hole, I heated up a small punch and made a hole. Worked better than a blade for me. Take your time, stretch it good, and it should come out fine. You can buy a tool on amazon for doing the snaps. I may have an extra one or two black snaps if you mess one up .

Quick Reply: Tenax or Snaps on a 1983 Porsche SC Cab