Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

84 Carrera and Steve Wong Chip

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 01:03 PM
rzepko6194
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 85 3.2 Carrera
$280? I can send you one for the cost of postage! The EPROM chip costs a buck or two!!! All the chip tuners do is modify some of the values in the code, and there's not a whole lot they can do, the ranges are pretty tight. Still I like them!
I'm sure the $500 Microsoft charges for Office Professional isn't for the cost of the actual CD either!

Most of the money, deservedly, goes to the guy fooling around with the values in the code. Well worth the money, IMHO!

JP

1987 Carrera Targa (Steve Wong Chip)
Old 05-06-2004, 01:08 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Most of the money, deservedly, goes to the guy fooling around with the values in the code. Well worth the money, IMHO!"

Well put, "fooling around" defines what actually is done by most chip suppliers.
Thanks for your comments.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:14 PM
rzepko6194
Advanced

Originally posted by Lorenfb
"Most of the money, deservedly, goes to the guy fooling around with the values in the code. Well worth the money, IMHO!"

Well put, "fooling around" defines what actually is done by most chip suppliers.
Thanks for your comments.
You're welcome, d*ck.

JP

1987 Carrera Targa
Old 05-06-2004, 03:54 PM
85 3.2 Carrera
Intermediate

Yieks! This thread is overheating!

The fact is, a 20 year old computer is outdated. The early Bosch Motronic is an 8-bit design! Do you still run an 8086 processor in your computer? Has Bosch stopped development of it's systems?

Here is an excellent discussion of how the systems work, albeit for the 944, the concepts are the same:

http://frwilk.com/944dme/

P.S. The biggest problem I had with my chip was not the code on the chip, but the chip itself. EPROM chips do not last forever, and the values on the chips can change or just be plain missing! In addition, the older chips were less efficient with power. As a result, my engine ran much better with the stock code embedded on a new EPROM chip!!
Old 05-06-2004, 03:56 PM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Touche'.

I've seen this thread too many times now (LOREN!).
Old 05-06-2004, 04:02 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

I agree..........pennypacker.................let's all move on, if you want a chip get one, if you don't want a chip don't get one.

See, problem solved!!
Old 05-06-2004, 04:37 PM
mumzer
Racer

Oh Loren...let me harness my chi before i continue...

Reference my previous post about the assertions, implicit in your railings against chips, that wong is a crook, and his customers are fools.

Once you have done so, take note of my generous offer to rent you a dyno so you could make your case with (ahem) evidence, as opposed to conjecture.

Finally, note the number of people here who have expressed satisfaction with the function of the chips they purchased.

Now i know that these people probably all also;

1. go swimming without waiting an hour after eating,

2. have had unprotected sex with members of the opposite sex

3. have gone outside in winter with wet hair, and

4. use mobil one from time to time.

Each of which is tantamount to inviting the four horsemen of the apocolypse over for tequila shots, and together must constitute a virtual guarantee of eternal suffering in the fires of hell.

But please...PLEASE...either get some evidence to support your claims, or shut the **** up...

your arrogance is astonishing. A perfuntory look at the traffic on each of the threads to which you have been party (on this topic and many others) is enough to draw the conclusion that your peers here think you are a blowhard.

It would be one thing if folks were complaining about Wong's product, his customer service or his business practices. They are not....this thread was started by a happy customer.

Chicken Little, Al Gore, the cowardly lion and ralph nader are all waiting for you in a bosch factory authorized ozone free chatroom eagerly awaiting your arrival. Go sell them some motronic rebuilds, and leave Wong alone...

They will be a more receptive audience.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:24 PM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Now it's time for Loren to say that we've reduced ourselves to name-calling, because we don't have any scientific evidence to back up our statements, even though he can't produce any evidence to support his argument either. How many more times are we going to let this jerkoff engage us in this ridiculous argument? I swear the guy is a masochist.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:42 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

yeah yeah yada yada yada
Old 05-06-2004, 07:31 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Loren, An honest, truthful answer please to the following question:
Did you ever attempt to, or succeed in writing, re-writing, designing, (re)programming, your own after-market chips? Please no looking for "what is the meaning of is loop holes."

Also waiting for a response to why the Euro 3.2's don't detonate since they have the same USA motors, but with greater compression and factory remapped Motronics for higher HP. Following your reasoning, there shouldn't be a 3.2 "alive" in Europe.

I heard a rumor that you did just that, but I figured I'd ask you for the truth.

Yes, thank you, I'm "having tremendous Fun" with my 84 Carrera and the newly installed Steve Wong Chip . With 129,000 miles, it runs like a new car and I couldn't be happier. Thank You Steve Wong

Now Loren, back to my questions and please don't you ever call me "brain dead again."
regards

Last edited by rbcsaver; 05-07-2004 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-08-2004, 01:03 PM
melted
Intermediate

I have a 944 turbo and I dont know if the same applies for my 911 but when I have knock or pinging on the turbo the computer backs the timing way off, very noticable. Does the 911 have a knock sensor ? I would think being superior to the 944 it would but then again its not running under boost so maybe not. If people were having detontation or pinging wouldnt they complain there performance chips sucked because of lack of performance? Simple question I just don't know the answer.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:55 AM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Looks like Loren chooses to ignore a direct question about rumours of his own prior attempts to development aftermarket 911 DME chips.

Quick Reply: 84 Carrera and Steve Wong Chip