Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Starts and Dies Immediately/HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 03:55 PM
kenhaag
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starts and Dies Immediately/HELP

Good afternoon my fellow Porsche friends. I have an issue that I'm stuck on and need some insight.
I have a 1969 Porsche 911 with a 1982 Porsche engine swapped in so the 3.0L. So it started with stranding me at a wedding with a no start and I traced it back to the ignition switch so replaced that and we were back driving again. Couple days later my brother wanted to go for a cruise in the car but it needed to be topped up with oil as I have a hole in the oil tank and it leaks bad when the car is shut off. I will pull the tank eventually and get that fixed but anyways I forgot tell my brother to check the oil level while the car was running and he did the top off cold and overfilled it by ALOT. We were cruising down the road and it was smoking so much I thought the fire department was gonna come. Then I learned he over filled it and it was just puking oil into the carb and was not in good shape. Let gravity do its thing and got the car started and drove it back to my garage and it cleared up the smoke and was running fantastic again. Couple days later i drive it to my friends house, started fine, drove great. Parked it at the house and boom. No start. So I check spark, all good there. Lots of compression. And i can hear the fuel pump going. After an hour of checking for vacuum leaks and such it does a start and die immediately. So now all it does it cold starts and dies.

I have a feeling after my little carb incident the pressure plate isnt allowing any more fuel to be put into the carb. I replaced the fuel pump a couple years back so i doubt its shot but maybe it is? I can hear the pump at initial fire but then nothing after it dies. Could it be the fuel pump relay decided to go on me? Maybe a bad fuel accumulator? Need some insight please.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:13 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,101 Likes on 786 Posts

okay first things first.. an 82 has no carb, it is CIS, do you have a modified engine or are you mixing up terms ?

if it is CIS you could have blown the airbox. also if it is cis i would remove the kidney from the top and make sure there is no oil contamination around the air plate and cut off switch. clean all that up . does it have a pop off valve , is that seated okay > you definitely could have a bad fuel relay but you could swap it with any other relay to test .
I cant tell if my pump runs as you cant hear it over the engine, but if the engine stops the air plate will cut off the pump so..... chicken or egg..
Old 07-12-2022, 11:26 AM
kenhaag
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the CIS, sorry about the mix up. Pop off valve is seated correctly no issues there. I will rip off the top and more than likely have oil contamination in there so I will try that next. I will get a new relay ordered and just put a new one in for the heck of it.
Old 07-12-2022, 04:40 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,101 Likes on 786 Posts

if the car ran flawlessly and now it has issues after this i would clean out as much as you can.

Quick Reply: Starts and Dies Immediately/HELP