Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 07:54 PM
Laurent
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy engine miss / or knock?

Hi,
1976 911s CIS injection
Took my car out last week. Everything was fine and I was driving in the countryside when my car started to miss and backfire. It ends up the timing was WAYYY off. the distributor had turned and I was getting ignition 15-20 deg retard- (but the distributor bolt was still tight - ???)

Adjusting the timing fixed backfires at low RPMs, but when I'm cruising down the highway at 3000 rpms, the engine will sometimes miss & jerk... The rpm needle bounces around sometimes too between 2000-4000rpm (even sometimes when the engine sounds fine and stable).
Could it be knocking from lean mixture? or more likely miss & ignition related ?

Idle is fine. Fuel pump is new.
I've pulled some (not all) plugs - they look good (not white like they would be with lean mixture).

I have to check my dwell...
What do you think?

Thanks guys...
Laurent
happy owner, sad driver.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:59 AM
Tim-911S
Track Day

I'm having the same type of problems. Let me know if you get the porblem sorted out and what you find.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:43 AM
Laurent
Intermediate

Yesterday, I adjusted my points (they were too tight) to the recommended 0.3mm (0.012in) gap.

Now my car idles at 2000rpms! It sputters a little and if I rev it up to 4000 or 5000, it's not smooth. What do I do now? what's the procedure, ajust idle, then mixture. Or adjust mixture to get a good idle?

seems everytime I adjust something, a new proble shows up. hope I'm on the right track...

What do I do now?

Laurent

Quick Reply: engine miss / or knock?