New Owner Questions (moved)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 10:12 PM
pgrunwald
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Owner Questions (moved)

Well, I did it!

I'm the proud owner of my first Porsche. I got a car cover and 4 15' fuchs with the car. 57, 932 miles. Car also has a bar across the front towers and anti-sway in the rear. I think the car has been lowered about 1/2". As mentioned on eBay, there is a small ding on the driver door that looks like it could be fixed at a "paintless" place. One scratch under the front bumper and maybe a dent underneth the rear fender that you have to get about 6" off the ground to see. Minor paint chips off the front but I have more on my Grand Prix and it has 42K miles..

I had a PPI and all cylinders where 145lbs across. One minor oil leak in the line next to the s-tube in the rear passenger side wheel well. The rear driver fender support is cracked. It also looks like something was run over as there is a dent in the front A/C evap and oil pan. Both are still functional.

Leather inside is very good, no tears, just 58k worth of wear. Clock is not working and the seatbelt indicator cover is missing as is one of the heater lever *****. Both window switches in the drive door are a little flaky but functional. Targa vinyl is shot and rollbar clearcoat is gone. Top and rear seals could stand to be replaced as well but are not totally trashed. A new carpet kit is installed. Rear deck speaker covers are shot. Glass is very good. I got all the tools (I think), compressor,and warrenty book, no owners manual.

Now here come the questions:

1) Targa top - recommendations? Must I do seals at the same time so it is all tight?

2) Whats the best place to get the electrical parts like the window switches, clock, and light cover?

3) Where can I find the replacement fender support? I checked both Zims and Pelican and did not find the part?

4) Engine is tight and does not leak on regular oil. Is it too late to switch to synthetic? Worth the cost?

5) I have the Bentley book already and I just ordered the "Porsche 911 Performance Handbook" and "101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 1965-1989" from Amazon. My best friend restores Model A's and Mustangs - he has a full shop with lift. What are the must have special tools to do most service and repairs?

6) The body feels stiff to me and not much different than coupes I drove. Would the targa support bars help handling or make the car last longer? (I may track/autocross the car)

Thanks again for the support and friendly words! I'll post fresh pictures once the top and roll bar are pretty.

Paul
Old 04-25-2004, 11:51 AM
Jeff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great looking car -- driving it will be the most fun you can have with your clothes on!
I had my targa top completely redone -- Dave Brown, I think he's in Colorado. His email is targaexpert@aol.com. I shopped around extensively and he is an expert, not cheap but very good work.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:52 AM
Jeff
Addict
Rennlist Member

By the way, I would replace the seals at the same time -- you can DIY.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:55 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

The car looks great!
The window swithches are $20 from Porsche. Buy them there, three at a time as they shine less than the originals. There is a place in Hollywood CA, can't remember the name, that can repair the clock. A lot of the little ***** and misc. parts can be purchsed from Porsche as well, without breaking the bank. You might look at some of the wrecking yards for the fender supports. though I would be surprised if they unreasonably priced at Porsche.
LOL
Old 04-25-2004, 02:51 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lots of questions!

I suggest Parts Heaven for new and used parts. Good choice for your fender strut. switches are probably best bought new.

must have tools: I assume you have the usual sockets, wrenches, etc. and jack stands and the like. Specific to 911s you should have a valve lash feeler, torque wrench, 32 and 28? mm wrenches for that leaking oil line. A big crescent wrench will work ( I refuse to tell you how I know). a 'soft' socket for the wheel nutz is a good thing.

Synth vs Dino: Everyone has an opinion in this. I swear by it, and run it in all my engines. I think it is especially important in Air cooler engines due to the higher internal temps. Others will say as long as you change it often, premium Dino is just as good at 1/2 the cost. It is a call you have to make yourself.

It is a great looking car, enjoy it. I don't know where you are, but I bet there are some nice twisties in those hills in the background.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:14 AM
hotshoe911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great looking car! You should be able to find ALL the replacement parts that you will need on Ebay, at least I have.

I check the Porsche parts dealers for the part and then do a search on Ebay.

As for your top, either you can redo it yourself or try:
Dan Carsinc 609 298 2277
Targa Top Restoration &
Vintage Parts Seller
Porsche Answer Man
5 Matthew Court Ste B
Bordentown NJ 08505

John
Old 04-29-2004, 02:26 PM
87turbo911
Rennlist Member

Dan Petchel does good work. He reskinned the Targa top on my 86. I don't know if he does it anymore but he'll lend you a Targa top to use (for free!) while he reskins yours.

Quick Reply: New Owner Questions (moved)