Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Speedo Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 07:34 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Speedo Removal

Well, my 87 911 Coupe milage stopped after I pressed the trip reset. My guess is the plastic gear broke. My question is there anything special to remove the device? I believe it is just pressure sealed, but I am guessing there is some force to pull it out. Do you just pull it out with your hand and make sure not to scratch the surface?

Also, to remove the device do I need remove any of the other gauges to gain access (disconnect) any of the wires?

The quote to repair from Palo Alto seems to range from $295-$350 + shipping which I am sure is not inexpensive from CT to California. I wonder if anyone on the East Coast does this stuff?

Last edited by rodneyr; 03-17-2022 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-18-2022, 04:43 AM
gdp_samson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found it easier to first remove the clock with a (very) small screwdriver behind the black plastic collar
once the clock was out, I put my fingers in the open slot and was able to push the speedo out from behind
(purpose was to change the bulbs)

for the rpm, I needed to remove the steering wheel but in your case, that might not be necessary
Old 03-18-2022, 03:34 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gdp_samson
I found it easier to first remove the clock with a (very) small screwdriver behind the black plastic collar
once the clock was out, I put my fingers in the open slot and was able to push the speedo out from behind
(purpose was to change the bulbs)

for the rpm, I needed to remove the steering wheel but in your case, that might not be necessary
OK. That is a good tip to remove the clock which is on the right of the speedo. I will see if I can pull the clock out by hand. If not, I will look for a plastic tool to not scratch the any of the gauges.
Old 03-18-2022, 04:20 PM
Noah930
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

The first instrument is the toughest. I used a really small/fine flat-tipped screwdriver to gently pry around the edges, under the rubber bezel. Just worked it around carefully (to avoid marring the dash) for 15-20 minutes.

Once you have one instrument out, you can "reach behind" through the dash and push the others out a bit easier. On my 964, I actually used a long thin dowel form the frunk side to tap my speedo out.
Old 03-19-2022, 11:05 AM
Bodydoc
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I did this in my 87 Targa. My speedo quit at 190,000 miles. It is really not that hard to pull it out. Just really grip the edge which is a heavy plastic and rock back and forth and pull. Once it starts you can reach behind with your fingers and pull it out. I took a picture of the [five?] wires and also marked them with masking tape.
Old 03-20-2022, 01:24 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Default Speedo / Clock Removal

Well, it does seem it would be easier to remove the clock and push the speedo out from the inside. I can see how it is easy to damage the dash, rubber bezel, glass, etc.
There did not seem be to way to pull the clock out with my hand -- maybe my grip is too weak. The rubber bezel.keeps the gauges very snug.
I will have to try the small screwdriver route, but I am sure I will mangle the rubber and possibly screw up the dash--- patience, patience....

Another option I was thinking about would be to use a rubber tip plyers on the gauge. Ideally pull with left hand and right hand with 2 pliers. I can even put some painters tape where I grab the gauge.
Has anyone tried this option? Might have an issue with the left hand because of the steering wheel getting in the way

Old 03-20-2022, 06:46 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Plastic panel tools are your friend here.

Like these. You will have less of a chance of damaging the vinyl

The following users liked this post:
Ralph3. (03-20-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 07:31 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Honkity Hank
Plastic panel tools are your friend here.

Like these. You will have less of a chance of damaging the vinyl

Yes, I agree. However, I have similar tools. I think ends are too thick to get behind the rubber and help to pry the gauge out. Maybe just user error on my part.
Old 03-20-2022, 10:53 PM
emac911
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

http://nsifleet.com/home.html

VDO authorized service located in NC. Shipped them a clock on Monday and got it back Thursday.
The following users liked this post:
rodneyr (03-20-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 11:24 AM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

A little sandpaper can help fashion a slimmer edge. I used these for my speedo removal when I had it calibrated.

Old 03-28-2022, 02:33 PM
'83 911 SC
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some have had success with a paint can opener. Pushing the gauges through the frunk is an easy option as well.

Quick Reply: Speedo Removal