Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Best Source for OEM Alloy Anodized (Black) Lug Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 04:55 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts

Decades ago when I first got my 911, I bought a steel-shell / nylon-insert lug nut socket from Zims (allzim.com). Works great. They no longer sell it, maybe because the Nylon would eventually get cracked and replaced under warranty. But if you use it gently, it won't break, and if the Nylon won't damage the Aluminum stock nuts, it will definitely not damage Titanium ones.

Here is Zims' current offering. Aluminum might be gentle enough on the Titanium. (not the one I have)

https://www.allzim.com/store/aluminu...ut-socket.html

Seems like the manufacturer of the Titanium lug nuts has a new product opportunity here, if they don't already sell a socket.

Last edited by oldskewel; 03-18-2022 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-21-2022, 11:47 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,140 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Decades ago when I first got my 911, I bought a steel-shell / nylon-insert lug nut socket from Zims (allzim.com). Works great. They no longer sell it, maybe because the Nylon would eventually get cracked and replaced under warranty. But if you use it gently, it won't break, and if the Nylon won't damage the Aluminum stock nuts, it will definitely not damage Titanium ones.

Here is Zims' current offering. Aluminum might be gentle enough on the Titanium. (not the one I have)

https://www.allzim.com/store/aluminu...ut-socket.html

Seems like the manufacturer of the Titanium lug nuts has a new product opportunity here, if they don't already sell a socket.
mine " broke" many years ago , but the insert isnt going anywhere inside a steal socket so i have used it for 10 years since with no issues.
Old 03-21-2022, 04:07 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
Following up on this -

I DO NOT recommend using the Stoddard Soft Socket. Perhaps it may serve some viable function (possibly to eliminate rounding of the edges on alloy lug nuts?), but it significantly damaged the finish on the new Titanium lug nuts that I just purchased. (And that was with VERY careful use of the socket.) Worthless junk. And expensive (purchased here on Pelican.) I'll try to leave a review on it.
Got pics of the damage it caused?
Old 03-21-2022, 05:06 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfeMacleod
Got pics of the damage it caused?
Sure...

Finish on titanium lug nut as originally delivered

This was after initial install with the Stoddard soft socket

Additional view of damage created by Stoddard soft socket

Replacement titanium lug nuts installed with different lug socket - perfect condition

Another view of replacement lug nut after installation with different lug socket
Old 03-22-2022, 09:29 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

yikes

Quick Reply: Best Source for OEM Alloy Anodized (Black) Lug Nuts