Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

C4 GTS Order Process?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 04:23 PM
NewTX911
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts
Default C4 GTS Order Process?

Hi all - I am trying to buy our first Porsche 911 and learning very quickly that this is a completely new world (I come from Audi, BMW and Acura).

We are interested in a newbuild Carerra 4 GTS and willing to wait and be patient (we are in Texas). I have one dealership who has offered to take a $2,500 non-refundable deposit for a build that will likely take 18-24 months to fulfill. They have no specific allocation this moment but believe they can fulfill within that timeframe. The order would also be for $20,000 over MSRP. Would appreciate comments from the knowledgeable group here - is this standard, viable, realistic, etc.? Is the ADM appropriate (suppose this current market dynamic may indeed last another 1-2 years)?

This seems to be my only option thus far, since I have had other dealerships tell me point blank that I have to buy used vehicles (i.e. vehicles we don't want) to build a relationship and get in their good graces, only to POTENTIALLY be offered a newbuild slot down the road (if they so choose).

Thanks in advance from a newbie. *apologies - I posted this in the wrong section and can't find how to delete*

Last edited by NewTX911; 02-19-2022 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:11 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Received 294 Likes on 181 Posts

Over asking is typical in this environment. No surprise their...

There are some dealers out there who do not follow this.... but the big rim issue is
that your dealer has no allocation.... the deposit is refundable in the event that you
actually find a dealer that has an allocation.

You need to, if you can, call every dealer you can and ask if they actually have
an allocation. I found a dealer that had a Sport Tursimo allocation couple of months
ago.... Its a PIA to hunt but not much else you can do at this time...

best of luck and happy hunting!
Old 02-20-2022, 09:11 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Received 294 Likes on 181 Posts

However, this is the wrong forum for your questions and I suggest you re-post
in the 992 forum...
Old 02-20-2022, 01:21 PM
Noah930
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Full disclosure: While I've had Porsches for the past 17 years, I have never purchased a new Porsche.

Congrats on the ability and desire to buy a 911. But there is no way I would agree to those terms. Non-refundable deposit for a car that may or may not be available in the next 2 years? And at a guaranteed $20K mark-up? OK, maybe that is current 2022 pandemic semi-conductor shortage market pricing, but there's no guarantee (and likely not to be the case) that it'll be so 2 years from now. Sounds like the dealer wants it both ways. $20K mark-up is for a car the seller can produce right now. It's not like you're ordering some sort of halo supercar that's made in limited numbers. Buy other cars you (and the dealer) don't want just to get in good graces for future purchases? When did Porsche start modeling their sales MO after Ferrari? (You know, there's a short Jay Leno video circulating on why he's a Porsche guy, but not a Ferrari guy.)

Last edited by Noah930; 02-20-2022 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:01 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I think that if people are looking for a gts or a c4, c4s... etc and then post for opinions on the 911 section... they're not looking hard enough. People need to know more about the basics of these cars. I get it, it's a noob move but... c'mon these cars aren't exactly chump change.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:17 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

Non-refundable deposit for a "promise" of a car in 18-24 month? Run. You would be a fool to agree to such terms.

Quick Reply: C4 GTS Order Process?