Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

76 911 engine bay wiring diagram needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 05:13 PM
SFx260
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 76 911 engine bay wiring diagram needed

I am an air-cooled Porsche tech at a VW dealer, and I am tasked with the cleanup/tidying of the engine bay wiring on a 76 911 with a 4 speed. I have a couple of wires that are melted, and I need to figure out what they are. Unfortunately, I don't recall the engine size.

the wires are brown with a female spade and red with a male spade/plastic cover. left front of the engine bay by the fuse area
Old 02-14-2022, 09:38 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

well for starters... brown are usually ground on aircooled 911. Look for other brown wires and verify that it is grounded. Do you have a pic of the wires and its general area?
Old 02-18-2022, 03:18 PM
SFx260
5th Gear

Im sorry for just now getting back to you, I've had the car lifted and another car stored underneath it since the last time I posted. attached are the photos of the general area and the wires themselves.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:36 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,101 Posts

It would be a 2.7 cis motor if original. But that ignition is not original. Really hard to say. As you can see modified wire for the coil igniter.

suggest post this on pelican parts forum, more guys there that know this era of car. Can you make out the colors and stripes?

I have the workshop manuals it’s an ok copy you can find on the web…. I don’t think you can pm too few posts but put email here I’ll send them to you
The following users liked this post:
SFx260 (02-23-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 08:43 AM
SFx260
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Spyerx
It would be a 2.7 cis motor if original. But that ignition is not original. Really hard to say. As you can see modified wire for the coil igniter.

suggest post this on pelican parts forum, more guys there that know this era of car. Can you make out the colors and stripes?

I have the workshop manuals it’s an ok copy you can find on the web…. I don’t think you can pm too few posts but put email here I’ll send them to you
i can make out colors and stripes on the harness, yes. I'm just curious as to the brown and red right in those photos by the relay/fuse block in the photos I posted, they got a little toasty there and if I need to pull the harness apart and replace/splice those wires then I would love to know where they go/what they are for.

personal email is Samm6171@hotmail.com, thank you!
Old 02-23-2022, 01:45 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,140 Likes on 814 Posts

is it just me ??????

you are an air cooled Porsche tech at a dealer and do not have access to factory manuals ?? wouldn't your dealership make sure you have access to this if they are authorizing you to work on Air cooled Porsches ??

and you are a certified air cooled Porsche Tech and you don't know a 76 is a 2.7 litre ??

an air cooled Porsche tech at a VW dealer that has to check public forums for this kind of information would not make me comfortable if i was the owner of said vehicle.
Old 02-23-2022, 03:37 PM
SFx260
5th Gear

Originally Posted by theiceman
is it just me ??????

you are an air cooled Porsche tech at a dealer and do not have access to factory manuals ?? wouldn't your dealership make sure you have access to this if they are authorizing you to work on Air cooled Porsches ??

and you are a certified air cooled Porsche Tech and you don't know a 76 is a 2.7 litre ??

an air cooled Porsche tech at a VW dealer that has to check public forums for this kind of information would not make me comfortable if i was the owner of said vehicle.

it is not technically the VW dealer itself, it is the used car secondary dealer. the VW dealership building deals with all new VW/porsche/audi, etc. the used car section deals with all older stuff. i get all the 60-90s stuff (bmw, benz, porsche, etc). So to answer your question, no i do not have access to the factory manuals. I am not certified in air cooled stuff, but if there are courses i could take, please inform me so i can inform my higher-ups as ive asked and they have not been able to come up with any resources.
we all have to learn somewhere. i can work on these things mechanically, but i am not sure on the wiring. i am getting help from the dealership owner who is well versed in 911s but he cant be here all the time to assist. im doing my own research.
Old 02-23-2022, 06:43 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Hey fwiw i appreciate those who seek to learn and do things right vs just doing and fking things up. I did email you the file. Did it come through?
Old 02-24-2022, 09:06 AM
SFx260
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Hey fwiw i appreciate those who seek to learn and do things right vs just doing and fking things up. I did email you the file. Did it come through?
i did, thank you very much! i havent had time to go through it though, i hope ill have some time today or this weekend at least.
yeah im only 30 and i really enjoy working on these air-cooled engines and these G bodies. i want to become certified but my higher-ups are like "we dont know of/cant find any resources to get you certified or take classes on these cars." so im a little bummed out, but it is what it is.
The following users liked this post:
Spyerx (03-05-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 09:21 AM
Adelfino
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tenho um carrera rs 210cv MFI com diversos problemas elétricos.
Comprei o relé F026T00002 para a bomba injetora mas a cablagem está muito danificada.
Precisava do esquema de ligações.

Quick Reply: 76 911 engine bay wiring diagram needed