Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1971 911T misses after changing out CDI

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 11:42 AM
jclydejohnson
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1971 911T misses after changing out CDI

I have a 1971 911T. Last week it cut out on me. After initially being able to start it and it cut out after a few miles, I was unable to start. I had the CDI and coil bench tested by Bob Aslock (super guy) and the CDI was bad but the coil was good. He was kind enough to loan me a CDI while he rebuilt mine. The CDI he loaned me was an upgraded version with his own electronics that is mainly used for track cars etc. I swapped it out and the car started right away but is missing and idling real low. It was running great prior to the recent issue. I can drive it but need to keep the hand throttle up to keep it going. Is it possible that the new CDI can change the timing or other ignition parameter. Any help would be great!

Jeremy
Old 02-12-2022, 11:58 AM
TonyVan
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default CDI

Jeremy,
shoot Bob an email. He would know best if the CDI is the problem
Tony
Old 02-13-2022, 02:01 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 105 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by jclydejohnson
I have a 1971 911T. Last week it cut out on me. After initially being able to start it and it cut out after a few miles, I was unable to start. I had the CDI and coil bench tested by Bob Aslock (super guy) and the CDI was bad but the coil was good. He was kind enough to loan me a CDI while he rebuilt mine. The CDI he loaned me was an upgraded version with his own electronics that is mainly used for track cars etc. I swapped it out and the car started right away but is missing and idling real low. It was running great prior to the recent issue. I can drive it but need to keep the hand throttle up to keep it going. Is it possible that the new CDI can change the timing or other ignition parameter. Any help would be great!

Jeremy
The 3 pin CDI rarely fails unless the battery is reversed, e.g. by jumping it, or an over-charging alternator. Did your engine ever miss-fire with the original CDI or idle too low?
If not, then your rebuilt CDI has introduced a new problem.
http://www.systemsc.com/

Old 02-16-2022, 09:56 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Points or electronic ignition?
how is the rest of your tune?

i had a cdi 3 pin fail. It simply wouldn’t start.

Quick Reply: 1971 911T misses after changing out CDI