Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fair market value for mint 1989 3.2 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2022 | 09:36 PM
My991
Racer

Originally Posted by leodevlin;[url=tel:17924474
17924474]Got it.

As I mentioned, I am kind of new to this classic porsche game.
Could you please tell me some of the things, especially in that model , to look or ask for in the pre purchase inspection to help me with determining a reasonable value for the car?
🥱
Old 01-22-2022 | 10:06 PM
junkman300sd
Track Day

Originally Posted by leodevlin
Got it.

As I mentioned, I am kind of new to this classic porsche game.
Could you please tell me some of the things, especially in that model , to look or ask for in the pre purchase inspection to help me with determining a reasonable value for the car?
Then you'd better find a competent shop willing to do a ppe. Buy a Bentley manual and read it to know how the components are laid out.

There are videos on YouTube that help but I know much more now that I've owned one if only for a few months.

Simple thing like replacing the exhaust are expensive. New footwell blowers for the climate control list for $400 each. The car has 2. There are other blowers that can be shot and need replacing. The swaybar mounts rust and need welding to replace. Parts are 3-400 and labor another $300.

AC is different from other cars and expensive to repair especially if you don't wrench.
The following users liked this post:
alfetta (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022 | 10:56 PM
leodevlin
Track Day

Originally Posted by junkman300sd
Then you'd better find a competent shop willing to do a ppe. Buy a Bentley manual and read it to know how the components are laid out.

There are videos on YouTube that help but I know much more now that I've owned one if only for a few months.

Simple thing like replacing the exhaust are expensive. New footwell blowers for the climate control list for $400 each. The car has 2. There are other blowers that can be shot and need replacing. The swaybar mounts rust and need welding to replace. Parts are 3-400 and labor another $300.

AC is different from other cars and expensive to repair especially if you don't wrench.
Yikes, you make it sound very scary . All those things you mentioned like the footwell blower or AC could definitely go without any indication right after the purchase.

Will definitely get a PPE done and take it from there. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2022 | 10:58 PM
leodevlin
Track Day

Originally Posted by wolfgang1
sounds like an $85k+ car to me
Seller is asking for around 90 USD but this in Canada where we have less of an inventory than US and prices are a bit higher.
Old 01-22-2022 | 11:40 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by junkman300sd

Yikes, you make it sound very scary . All those things you mentioned like the footwell blower or AC could definitely go without any indication right after the purchase.

Will definitely get a PPE done and take it from there. Thanks.
I think a studied approach is the best advice.

Yes, you can jump right in with your credit card in hand and start buying things without doing the research. In the case of the footwell blowers, yes, you can opt to pay $400 each for them, or you can replace just the Bosch motor (which is the component that fails) for a fraction of the cost. Same thing for the blower in the engine compartment.

Old 01-23-2022 | 02:20 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Sorry, but $90K+ is way to much for these cars... makes more sense to buy in higher mileage and in the $40-$50K range and fix it as you go. No need to dump all that money on one shot... fix as you go will spread that cash over time making it easier on your pocket and learn how to fix things... thats all part of the experience. There are deals out there... (in the US anyways). A good mechanic will know where all the problem rusts areas are, leak down test, excessive smoking, new brakes rotors, oil levels and leaks, fuels lines.... etc. Just make sure they've been working on Porsches for awhile and you should have a good picture of what your buying.

Last edited by redridge; 01-23-2022 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-23-2022 | 02:27 AM
ab1752
Intermediate

Is this car in Vancouver, by chance? Seems the seller has it listed now, and they're looking for 149,000 cdn. I'm local and also have a local 89 coupe if you're interested in having a comparable car to look over. (It's not for sale)
Old 01-23-2022 | 10:20 AM
junkman300sd
Track Day

Default take Autox up on his offer

Go look at some cars and talk to owners. Also find out if there is a local PCA chapter.

You're looking for an acceptably maintained car that does what you want. You want it in good condition especially since you don't wrench but also want a price where you can resell if desired.

Meet those criteria and you bought at a fair price. Also, talk to a used car dealer and find out middle blackbook. Some will disclose that to you. It's the middle auction price dealers paid and doesn't include repairs required to sell.

(Dealers do as little as possible. )
Old 01-23-2022 | 12:13 PM
ab1752
Intermediate

Op if that is the same car in Vancouver, that sure looks like a row import, likely from Japan. Way too high of an asking price, imo. Watch the 87 marine blue wirh 42000 miles on bat. I'm a sucker for blue cars, and both of these 911s are great examples. I bought mine through a mechanic here in town. It was sold new by mcl and it had 152,000 kms when I got it. I've done the full elephant racing sports suspension refresh, full Griffiths ac refresh, top end, clutch etc, restored the fuchs, sent to korvas for paint corrections, all fuel lines, brakes etc in the past 20,000 kms. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere within reason. ​​​​​​​You should put the word out with shops like turn 3 if you're looking, not a dealer. That's the best way to buy a car like this, imo.
The following users liked this post:
redridge (01-23-2022)
Old 01-24-2022 | 02:36 PM
997turbocab
Burning Brakes

Unfortuntely this car is not publicly listed. It's through a private seller and the information I indicated is all to go by which is:

1989 3.2
80K miles
unblemished interior and exterior , only two owners, one really long term.
original stereo,
unmolested, no customizations etc.

Hope that is enough to get a ball park.
What colour is it?
Old 01-25-2022 | 02:40 AM
leodevlin
Track Day

Originally Posted by redridge
Sorry, but $90K+ is way to much for these cars... makes more sense to buy in higher mileage and in the $40-$50K range and fix it as you go. No need to dump all that money on one shot... fix as you go will spread that cash over time making it easier on your pocket and learn how to fix things... thats all part of the experience. There are deals out there... (in the US anyways). A good mechanic will know where all the problem rusts areas are, leak down test, excessive smoking, new brakes rotors, oil levels and leaks, fuels lines.... etc. Just make sure they've been working on Porsches for awhile and you should have a good picture of what your buying.
Problem is that you can't even find 40 to 50K cares here in Canada. So choices are really limited.
Old 01-25-2022 | 02:42 AM
leodevlin
Track Day

Originally Posted by ab1752
Op if that is the same car in Vancouver, that sure looks like a row import, likely from Japan. Way too high of an asking price, imo. Watch the 87 marine blue wirh 42000 miles on bat. I'm a sucker for blue cars, and both of these 911s are great examples. I bought mine through a mechanic here in town. It was sold new by mcl and it had 152,000 kms when I got it. I've done the full elephant racing sports suspension refresh, full Griffiths ac refresh, top end, clutch etc, restored the fuchs, sent to korvas for paint corrections, all fuel lines, brakes etc in the past 20,000 kms. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere within reason. You should put the word out with shops like turn 3 if you're looking, not a dealer. That's the best way to buy a car like this, imo.
That's the one , they listed it now, they want like 130K / 100USD for it which is ridicoulus. And here is the kicker, they are not allowing me to even get it inspected at a different shop.

Which 87 marine are you talking about? I can't see a car with those characteristics listed on auto trader or are you referring to a different web site?

Last edited by leodevlin; 01-25-2022 at 02:43 AM.
Old 01-25-2022 | 02:42 AM
leodevlin
Track Day

Originally Posted by 997turbocab
What colour is it?
baltic blue.
Old 01-25-2022 | 12:07 PM
ab1752
Intermediate

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-porsche-911-carrera-89/This one here. I would take a hard pass on that one you're talking about in town. You can find a way better car from someone like myself who is an involved longterm owner. I couldn't fathom that sort of money for a car like this...I did dig mine out and drove it yesterday, great cars and you will find the right one for you with some effort and patience.​​​​​​​

Last edited by ab1752; 01-25-2022 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2022 | 12:22 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

That's the one , they listed it now, they want like 130K / 100USD for it which is ridicoulus. And here is the kicker, they are not allowing me to even get it inspected at a different shop.

Which 87 marine are you talking about? I can't see a car with those characteristics listed on auto trader or are you referring to a different web site?
don't walk...run ....away
you don't know what these cars are all about and can't have it inspected. you are scared of repairs needed. you haven't even said if the car has been repainted? if the money is not that important to you buy it and have fun. not many of these on the market now. I'd take the same money and buy a Ferrari or Lambo or Maserati. these old 911s are great buy not for the money asking no IMO.

Quick Reply: Fair market value for mint 1989 3.2 Carrera