Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1st DE. dos and donts

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 05:17 PM
S4drifter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Adrian,

I heard the horror stories about the Audi brakes. Sorry you were a victim. Never had that problem with stock brakes on my E36 M3 (go figure...). Therefore, Before I took the S4 to the Glen i installed 993tt calipers and put the stock ones on a shelf. They worked great and were worth the money.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:34 PM
87turbo911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oops...apparently, my memory is off.

I needed the brakes bled at MidOhio, not Watkins Glen with the new brake pads. It came back to me when I remembered that, during the cool-down lap on the back straight, after the keyhole, I found out that I had almost NO BRAKES...Fortunately, I was already going "slow" (relatively speaking) and could still make the turn then take it VERY SLOW for the rest of the cool-down lap. Then my mechanic helped me with brake bleeding.

As for the A4, there was an S4 guy there who took a look at my brakes when I started feeling like I was losing braking power after, like, two sessions. I can't remember his name but, if you're out there, thanks! He and this other S4 guy said almost the same thing you did...that the A4 is great for DE (especially in "foul weather") but the A4 brakes are horrible for them- particularly on "fast" tracks like the Glen because it's so heavy.

They recommended AT LEAST S4 brakes on the track. The one guy I talked to said that he cooked his S4 brakes (on an S4) after two race sessions.

Alas, that's the last time the A4 has ever seen the track. I only used it the one time because my Turbo was still in the shop...I needed an engine rebuild (actually a top end "freshening" but I ended up going with a rebuild) after I took it to the Glen in August.

-Adrian
Old 04-20-2004, 07:18 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brakes

You can spend anywhere from 75 to 200 an axle for race pads. Pagids are great but big $$$, I have had good luck with Porterfield and Hawk Blue, Performance Friction also makes a comparable pad, (each are) around 100 per axle.

Change the brake fluid if you haven't done so within the last six months, and make sure that you bed in the new pads as per the manufacturers instructions. Green fade isa no good!
Old 04-20-2004, 09:40 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I think for my next track event I'm going with the FerodosDS 2500's. Worth the piece of mind.

http://www.RaceShopper.com

Quick Reply: 1st DE. dos and donts