Looking Forward to Learning More

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 12:28 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,195 Posts
Default Looking Forward to Learning More

Hello everyone!

Although I'm not new to the Rennlist forums, I am just now taking my first steps in entering into the air cooled 911 world - via the recent purchase of a Carrera 3.2 G50 Targa.

Coming from a 997.2 (which I have thoroughly enjoyed!), I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to own a car that is more directly connected with the core spirit of Porsche.

It's still very early on for me - the car has not yet been shipped, but will be within the next week to 10 days. It's an '87 Targa.

I'm thankful to the forum members for the many contributions that have helped to provide me with some valuable guidance through the assessment process of finding the right car. So much experience and knowledge here!
What a valuable resource this is!

I'll follow up with more information on the car when it arrives here to me. Posting a couple of photos below...

Very fortunate to find one in such nice shape. All original, with only 19k miles.

I am looking forward to gathering more information on this generation 911, and learning more from everyone here!

'87 Carrera 3.2 Targa - Carmine Red

The following 3 users liked this post by Ironman88:
Freddie Two Bs (11-28-2021), HelpMeHelpU (11-25-2021), Mac M (11-26-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 01:08 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

Wow, only 19K miles! She's a beauty. Congratulations, and welcome to the air-cooled world. Looking forward to more photos when it arrives.

Mark
The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 01:58 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Ha! I bought my '84 Targa in '11, while I still owned my '09 997.2! You will love it!!!

Is this you, although it says it's an '88?? If so, you got a great deal considering the mileage.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...rera-targa-34/
Ironman88 (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 02:42 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Ha! I bought my '84 Targa in '11, while I still owned my '09 997.2! You will love it!!!

Is this you, although it says it's an '88?? If so, you got a great deal considering the mileage.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...rera-targa-34/
That's a beautiful Targa!
I remember seeing it on BAT. Congratulations on the purchase.

Old 11-24-2021, 05:55 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

congrats @Ironman88 .

I enjoyed your posts on the 997 forum when I was active there. This 911 forum has some great folks but it's quite a bit more quiet than 997.

This is more laid back. We tend to argue less and admire each other's cars more.

And my aircooled is way more fun to drive for me personally.

Ironman88 (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 06:15 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheTorch
congrats @Ironman88 .

I enjoyed your posts on the 997 forum when I was active there. This 911 forum has some great folks but it's quite a bit more quiet than 997.

This is more laid back. We tend to argue less and admire each other's cars more.

And my aircooled is way more fun to drive for me personally.
Thanks TheTorch.

I remember when you were moving over to the air-cooled car. At the time I thought it was quite an extraordinary shift and departure. Little did I know then that I would be doing the same thing a little bit further down the road...

As much as I have liked my 997, I know the '87 Targa experience will be much more what I have been seeking.

TheTorch (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 06:34 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ironman88
Thanks TheTorch.

I remember when you were moving over to the air-cooled car. At the time I thought it was quite an extraordinary shift and departure. Little did I know then that I would be doing the same thing a little bit further down the road...

As much as I have liked my 997, I know the '87 Targa experience will be much more what I have been seeking.
I had a wobble right when I got the aircooled and it was stuck on the transporter with a dead battery, and I thought "oh boy I made a mistake", but after sorting that out and a whole lot of fun work, I have not looked back.
Ironman88 (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 06:42 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

That's a beautiful Targa!
I remember seeing it on BAT. Congratulations on the purchase.
Huh?! I was asking if it was your car in the link I posted from BAT. lol
Mine was never on BAT and bought from a friend in '11. Here she is and you'll find a wealth of information here, a lot of us have been through it all, having owned over a decade at this point.

Old 11-24-2021, 09:10 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Huh?! I was asking if it was your car in the link I posted from BAT. lol
Mine was never on BAT and bought from a friend in '11. Here she is and you'll find a wealth of information here, a lot of us have been through it all, having owned over a decade at this point.
I'm with you now!
Your car looks beautiful! Are those 9" rears?

I've seen so many cars recently - I've completely lost track. The red Targa on BAT was one of the many I was following.

The car I bought was not via BAT. It's in a less common shade of red - Carmine red.

Here's a couple of photos of my 997.2

Old 11-24-2021, 09:28 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

I had a wobble right when I got the aircooled and it was stuck on the transporter with a dead battery, and I thought "oh boy I made a mistake", but after sorting that out and a whole lot of fun work, I have not looked back.
It would be great to see some photos of your car...

Old 11-25-2021, 11:18 AM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

I need to take more. Out on drives I hardly ever like to stop.

HelpMeHelpU (11-25-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 12:08 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Wow - really beautiful car.

I did a few random searches on Rennlist and I think I may have found your car when it was under prior ownership - so I was able to see some additional photos (if that one is your car anyway...)

I was reading that the Ossi blue color only ran for two years - '68 and '69. I've not seen it before - it really is exceptional.

I purchased my '87 from Nathan Merz. He's done a number of YouTube videos for the PCA. He's mentioned several times about the positive market outlook ahead for the long hood cars.

Would be interested to know if you've made any changes to the car. Also if you've had to address any issues with it.

Old 11-25-2021, 12:32 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Wow - really beautiful car.

I did a few random searches on Rennlist and I think I may have found your car when it was under prior ownership - so I was able to see some additional photos (if that one is your car anyway...)

I was reading that the Ossi blue color only ran for two years - '68 and '69. I've not seen it before - it really is exceptional.

I purchased my '87 from Nathan Merz. He's done a number of YouTube videos for the PCA. He's mentioned several times about the positive market outlook ahead for the long hood cars.

Would be interested to know if you've made any changes to the car. Also if you've had to address any issues with it.

Well, I've done more than I should have (from a financial return standpoint) and more than it needed because I only have one, want to make it absolutely the way and quality I want, and I enjoy the work (for the most part).
The only significant issue was a problem with the Transmission, documented here: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...-question.html
Resealing the timing chain covers was really worth doing to clean up some oil leaks. That again required an engine drop but I found that retiming the cams was not that big a deal with the right tools.
A problem with one of the carbs took me a month of messing around to figure out, but I learned a lot.

Many of the other items were improvements and "while I was in there" or "while the engine was out".
I completely redid the interior, added 930 brakes, replaced most of the suspension, wheel bearings, replaced r repaired virtually everything in the tunnel, ran new fuel lines, new fuel tank, redid my gauges myself (though my speedo needs to be recalibrated at PA speedo at some point).

I should have started a thread about my car and kept adding to it. Those are the best threads on here IMO, like Bills -- https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...rod-build.html and @Spyerx -- https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...1971-911t.html

I recommend you do that, with this thread or another. It's great to look back over time and see all the progress, learning, support, etc. Maybe I will motivate and do it as well.

I sure learned a lot over the past year +, but mostly the buddies I found nearby who like to drive and fix our AC 911s is the best part.
Ironman88 (11-25-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 02:09 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Well, I've done more than I should have (from a financial return standpoint) and more than it needed because I only have one, want to make it absolutely the way and quality I want, and I enjoy the work (for the most part).
The only significant issue was a problem with the Transmission, documented here: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...-question.html
Resealing the timing chain covers was really worth doing to clean up some oil leaks. That again required an engine drop but I found that retiming the cams was not that big a deal with the right tools.
A problem with one of the carbs took me a month of messing around to figure out, but I learned a lot.

Many of the other items were improvements and "while I was in there" or "while the engine was out".
I completely redid the interior, added 930 brakes, replaced most of the suspension, wheel bearings, replaced r repaired virtually everything in the tunnel, ran new fuel lines, new fuel tank, redid my gauges myself (though my speedo needs to be recalibrated at PA speedo at some point).

I should have started a thread about my car and kept adding to it. Those are the best threads on here IMO, like Bills -- https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...rod-build.html and @Spyerx -- https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...1971-911t.html

I recommend you do that, with this thread or another. It's great to look back over time and see all the progress, learning, support, etc. Maybe I will motivate and do it as well.

I sure learned a lot over the past year +, but mostly the buddies I found nearby who like to drive and fix our AC 911s is the best part.
I agree with you. Such a great journal documenting the progress. Inspirational.

Everything you've done to your car makes perfect sense and has clearly added substantial value. No doubt you appreciate the car much more because of it.

TheTorch (11-25-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 04:24 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 192 Likes on 123 Posts

Welcome and beautiful car! Something so special about the air-cooled cars and community. Looking forward to hearing your impressions and experiences
Ironman88 (11-25-2021)

Quick Reply: Looking Forward to Learning More