Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need some help with potential purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 08:09 PM
Damon88
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need some help with potential purchase.

Hi Guys, Long time Porsche enthusiast and owner. But now looking to buy my first air cooled 911. I have found a 1978 911Sc. Priced at $41,000 US. I live in Canada so that's roughly $53,000 Canadian dollars. It does not have original motor... but there seems to be lots of receipts from work down in the past. Looking for a daily driver and something to work on if needed. It definitely needs some interior work, re installing the OEM headlights & lower lights. But would like some feedback on the car and price, and what else I should be asking seller. Here is the ad and some pictures. Cheers and thank you in advance. Damon.

(ad) The car recently underwent a mild mechanical refresh at a Porsche auto shop to the tune of $5800 which included rebuilt calipers, brake fluid flush, new Interstate battery, fuel pump relay, a variety of wiring repairs, A/C condenser, A/C recharge and new tires. The result is that everything that this car needs to be daily driven or road tripped is working as Porsche intended. Additionally, it has been upgraded with the “Carrera” chain tensioner update.

The car was also resprayed in its original Grand Prix White, and the Fuchs were refinished. The interior is in good condition in general, seats show very little wear and no tears. The headliner is not sagging and in decent condition, though does show some minor staining. There is currently no radio, and there are some other interior issues that could be easily resolved by its future owner.

This stalled restoration project is the perfect rust-free blank canvas for you to put your individual stamp on. This is a great opportunity to be able to build your ultimate 911, however you envision it. In the meantime, you have a great driving air-cooled 911 to enjoy as you decide what direction to take it in, or just drive it as-is.

Last edited by Damon88; 11-22-2021 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:47 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

That's a lot of money for a non original car.Looks to be a US car with 191,000 miles, if you convert, that makes an awful lot of kilometers on the clock and the rest of the car.
By the time that car ends up in your garage , you're already up around 60K Canadian , i would pass ...

Cheers
Phil
Old 11-29-2021, 04:03 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts

yeah that is very rich for what it is , sounds like someone is trying to get from under their project with a tidy profit.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:28 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

I just did the conversion , that car has 307,589 kms on the clock , it's obviously been around the block a few times ...
Another thing , don't let piles of service records or lack of determine your purchase, the only real way to value a car is with a thorough PPI
from a knowledgeable Porsche shop, don't even consider a dealer, they can't be bothered with older cars.
I do my own maintenance since i bought my 89 twelve years ago and i have zero maintenance records to show, although i'm into my
car for close to 60K.

Cheers
Phil
Old 11-29-2021, 07:21 PM
Damon88
Instructor

Thanks for all your input guys,

I guess I should have added a little more info...This car is from a small local garage that services older Porsche in Seattle Washington. They have a long history in the industry, specializing in older Porsches. This is a clients car they have been working on for a couple years. I do realize the high KM/ Miles and Price. Im just looking for a something to tinker with and not worried about matching numbers car. Yes our exchange is horrible... I But I have been looking in Canada for a while now with no luck. Closest 911SC I could find was $58k and sold immediately.. and it wasn't great. Found a couple other cars around $69k ...anything mechanical, I can do myself. Anyways, there my justification to buy a car that I been looking for quite some time... Anyways appreciate all you comments. Car should be here in a week. DOOOH lol
Old 11-30-2021, 11:35 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

ok so sounds like you bought it already, so not sure what you were asking us ...

tells me i need to raise my insurance coverage on my SC then

yes i " only" have a targa, but i think its pretty nice
Old 11-30-2021, 11:48 AM
Damon88
Instructor

Originally Posted by theiceman
ok so sounds like you bought it already, so not sure what you were asking us ...

tells me i need to raise my insurance coverage on my SC then

yes i " only" have a targa, but i think its pretty nice
well i posted this over a week ago and didn’t get any response.I was looking for some advice based on others with similar car.. I did more DD and make my own decision based on my criteria. I responded as I did get some feed back….and that’s the least I could do, as someone took the time to respond. I will delete thread. Hope that clears up your questions….
if your unsure of the current values, then I suggest a google search and some DD. Not sure about the ( Targa comment )
Old 11-30-2021, 12:44 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Damon,

The prices for older air cooled cars skyrocketed over the years .I paid 25K for my 89 with 124,000 kms at the time some 12 years ago.Anyhow since i'm not one to leave things alone i'm already into it
for close to 60K , so yes , you would not be the first person to dump loads of money into our cars.
I'm sure Clive has tons of money and time invested in his car as well.The fact that we Canadians get reamed by the currency exchange and the shipping fees from most of the vendors that we buy
parts from in the US is part of the game.If you're happy with "your" future car , enjoy it to the fullest as they're only going to get more expensive over time.
Don't delete this thread, keep us posted on your new ride and feel free to ask questions , that's what this forum is all about !!!

Cheers
Phil
Old 11-30-2021, 02:01 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Damon,

The prices for older air cooled cars skyrocketed over the years .I paid 25K for my 89 with 124,000 kms at the time some 12 years ago.Anyhow since i'm not one to leave things alone i'm already into it
for close to 60K , so yes , you would not be the first person to dump loads of money into our cars.
I'm sure Clive has tons of money and time invested in his car as well.The fact that we Canadians get reamed by the currency exchange and the shipping fees from most of the vendors that we buy
parts from in the US is part of the game.If you're happy with "your" future car , enjoy it to the fullest as they're only going to get more expensive over time.
Don't delete this thread, keep us posted on your new ride and feel free to ask questions , that's what this forum is all about !!!

Cheers
Phil
so true Phil .. i have the records, but refuse to look at them lol.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:08 AM
My991
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

I wouldn’t worry about miles, 190k on a 40 years old car shows it’s been used. Only concern for me would be the transmission which wasn’t mentioned and BTW the headlights are ok
Old 12-01-2021, 08:16 AM
AG81
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

I am not sure how often the naysayers go shopping but the price seems reasonable to me. $41K for a clean SC is a tad high but not crazy.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:56 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

I'm not into SCs (I prefer the earlier 911s), but it presents very well, and if you trust this shop then to me it doesn't seem a crazy price. In any case, if you can afford it then the amount you have sunk into the car only matters when you try to sell it. But do keep the receipts away from your wife....
The following users liked this post:
AG81 (12-01-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 10:18 AM
alfetta
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

I understand your dilemma. I bought my 85 cab last June. I now realize it was not the smartest purchase I have ever made. It is difficult to get one of these cars that combines price, condition and proximity. (This one will be the last one I buy relying on outside experts).I think my decision was influenced by the frustrating process of buying one. I had three others tied up and had PPIs done remotely and those deals did not work out. I settled for 'good enough'.

The expense of getting the car right and fixing all of the little stuff has been more than I expected. I look at the auctions and ads and keep second-guessing myself but in the end I am happy with the car. None of them are perfect and you need to remember they are old cars.

If you have a good story about the current caretaker I agree with the comment that it is not that bad a deal. If you buy it you will spend more time and money that your thought you would but you will really enjoy the experience. I know I have---my 85 is my 6th air-cooled Porsche and all of them have been terrific to own.
Old 12-02-2021, 02:04 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Its difficult buying these aircooled 911's. Every Tom, Dick and Harry wants one (or Two) since they don't want to miss out on the bandwagon. But, at some point... you have to pull the trigger... I friend of mine looked for 2 years and wished he had bought back then. (They were priced better and more on the market). There were a couple of "one's that got away". I say if you see the potential in the car.... and you have the means, go for it. Life is too short without a 911.
The following users liked this post:
alfetta (12-02-2021)

Quick Reply: Need some help with potential purchase.