Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Buying a 1982 Porsche 911 SC

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 07:50 PM
CTCruiser85
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 1982 Porsche 911 SC

I’m looking at this car. I have not heard it start but have been told it has a “fresh” engine. Assuming it starts and runs okay, what other pitfalls should I be looking for?
I'm interested what others would pay for this car in this situation?
Thanks!
Old 11-16-2021, 09:23 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 194 Likes on 153 Posts

Hi, welcome to Rennlist! Lots of potential pitfalls, and it's hard for us to run through everything. If you could share some photos it would help a lot. You really haven't told us much: Mileage? Coupe or Targa? US or Euro car? Color, original paint? Interior condition? All are important. Could be $15K. Could be $50K-$60K.

You need to find out what "fresh" means, if it's the original engine, and who did the work. Rust is always a risk. Around the battery and the front pan. The door sills and "kidney bowls" (the vertical portion of the door frame where the latch fastens). Maybe even the rear seat area and around the window frames. Hidden rust is really common - you need to know where to look.

If you are not familiar with these cars, you really need to get an independent inspection. Especially true if the seller is looking for top dollar, and you are not able or willing to do your own repairs. If the car is cheap it might be a bargain, but not if you can't address any problems on your own. You start paying a shop for labor and parts, you can very quickly end up under water.

Not much else to say without more info. Hope this helps.

Mark

Old 11-16-2021, 11:32 PM
CTCruiser85
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super helpful

Thanks Mark,
that is Very helpful info. I’d like to tell you more but I don’t know any more. I should find out more this week and I’ll respond with more details and pics.

thanks again!
Old 11-17-2021, 12:30 AM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

A professional PPI is the way to go.... cost a few hundred but can save you multiple thousands....

Quick Reply: Buying a 1982 Porsche 911 SC