Advice on 1985 Carrera engine lid (hot)swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2021, 04:42 PM
romster
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on 1985 Carrera engine lid (hot)swap

Dear co-owners of this beautiful machine,

I own a 1985 Carrera with a factory rear wing. I have recently picked up an additional engine lid without the wing as I would like to switch it up for some time. Initially I thought this wouldn't be too much of an issue, but reading further there seems to be quite some alignment work involved. In addition, I also have the factory AC installed, which further complicates things with the big condenser mounted below.

I was wondering whether anyone has experience and/or advice on swapping these lids. Would it be worth sourcing an additional set of the hinges to make alignment easier, for example?
Old 11-16-2021, 03:50 AM
romster
AutoX

For reference, here is the wing deck lid. It looks like it's 4 screws and the guide in the center for the AC, and there's also the engine light which is fed through to the left there.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:30 AM
AG81
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

I've done it. I laid a blanket on the engine (cool) to lay the condenser on. The rest of the swap is pretty straight forward. Yes you will need to align the engine lid. That is not an issue. Another set of hinges are not necessary IMHO.
Old 11-19-2021, 03:40 PM
romster
AutoX

Originally Posted by AG81
I've done it. I laid a blanket on the engine (cool) to lay the condenser on. The rest of the swap is pretty straight forward. Yes you will need to align the engine lid. That is not an issue. Another set of hinges are not necessary IMHO.
Great to hear, thanks for the feedback.
If you're willing to share, how complicated was it to align the lid in your opinion, and how much time did it take you for the complete swap?
Old 11-20-2021, 02:48 PM
AG81
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by romster
Great to hear, thanks for the feedback.
If you're willing to share, how complicated was it to align the lid in your opinion, and how much time did it take you for the complete swap?
I am slow with my mods. Don't go by how long it takes me to do anything. But it did not take more than an afternoon in the garage. That included
taking the old deck lid off. The alignment will depend on the quality of your replacement deck lid. I would get a rough estimate of where the existing
deck lid hinge is located on the existing deck lid before removal. As a reference point.
Old 11-20-2021, 03:54 PM
romster
AutoX

Originally Posted by AG81
I am slow with my mods. Don't go by how long it takes me to do anything. But it did not take more than an afternoon in the garage. That included
taking the old deck lid off. The alignment will depend on the quality of your replacement deck lid. I would get a rough estimate of where the existing
deck lid hinge is located on the existing deck lid before removal. As a reference point.
That's a good piece of advise. Will grab a marker of some kind to make it easier in the future when swapping it back.

Afternoon sounds great. Thanks a lot. What was your solution for the engine light? Swap it as well?

Quick Reply: Advice on 1985 Carrera engine lid (hot)swap