Wenski
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Replace decklid with spoiler for flat decklid

Old 11-05-2021, 02:15 AM
Wenski
AutoX

Changing my decklid with spoiler for flat classic decklid. I am looking for the voices of experience before I start. A new metal decklid from Restoration Design Canada will be here in a few weeks, time to get organized. I am keeping the original deck and tail even though not on original option list, I want to keep my options. The car has an original wiper that came with the car. How to remove / install the condenser without hose disconnect if possible. Remove wiper assembly and arm without disturbing the setup too much works perfectly now. The new decklid needs to be painted and new grill with install hardware. Possible change to wiper arm base for classic deck lid? Want to have the wiper on classic deck. I understand that spoiler or no spoiler is always a discussion point, I don’t want to go there. I am saving the whale, it will just be resting. Appreciate your help, I am very new to forums still working through the navigation, quotes and reply versions.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:11 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 200 Likes on 158 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist! I see you have a newer car too, you'll find that the Rennlist new-car forums are more active than the air-cooled here.

You should be able to just unbolt the condenser from the old deck lid and then refasten to the new deck lid without undoing the hoses. If you want to keep the wiper, I believe the grill is different than on the non-wiper cars, so be careful there.

The condenser on the wiper cars has a cutout, so at least you already have that. Me, I think the car will look better without the wiper, especially once you have removed the tail. But that's up to you.

The other thing to watch is the bracket for the engine compartment light. I don't see one in the pictures of the Restoration Design decklid. Since you have to paint anyway, you might be better off with a used rear deck that has the mount for the light.

Mark
Old 11-06-2021, 02:21 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,409 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Suggest saving some time & starting a thread on the Pelican forum. It has way more active users than RL for air cooled cars. I only use RL for the 992 forum now.
Old 11-07-2021, 02:39 AM
Wenski
AutoX

Mark - Thanks and good catch with the wiper advice. I tend to agree with the no wiper but tying to return to stock, and the wiper is in the option codes. Fuchs restored wheels are on the way. Looked carefully at Pelican forum I will try that next. Cheers - Lorne

Quick Reply: Replace decklid with spoiler for flat decklid