911s weird eingine noise with audio example

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 08:48 AM
J.C.
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 911s weird eingine noise with audio example

Hello everyone

Me and my dad got a 1976 911s 2.7l 165PS california import back on the road in germany.
After I repaired the stud bolts and replaced various other parts / seals / piston rings etc ...,I noticed the following during the first test drive:

if I quickly hit the accelerator pedal (over 70%) after a rolling phase, i.e. want to accelerate violently in the 3000rpm range, I notice a cracking / popping / pinging. It's not present every time, but quite often. You can hear this in the videos.
There are always just a few pings/crackles. If i continue accelerating, the pings disappear.
Taking back the ignition brings only a slight improvement. Otherwise the engine runs perfectly.

I can provoke the noise even when idling. I have linked you two videos where you can hear the noise. Maybe someone can identify it?

Cheers!

Last edited by J.C.; 10-23-2021 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-21-2021, 02:19 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

Are you 100% sure it's an engine knock or internal? What about the possibility that the engine mounts aren't loose and making noise as the engine labors / moves due to heavy acceleration? Or, perhaps something else that is loose, is making noise all the same??
Old 10-21-2021, 03:31 PM
J.C.
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I‘m not sure if it is spark knock, engine knock or „something hits the body“ knock. I already try to aim it with the stethoscope - very difficult because the sound occurs so shortly every time... anyway I also just checked the engine mounts with the stethoscope. - nothing suspicious here.

Quick Reply: 911s weird eingine noise with audio example