Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Spray to make license plates invisible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 02:20 PM
volpenyc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heard that story as well, but legend has it that the only color it came in was pink! Very discrete indeed...
Old 04-15-2004, 03:16 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Flash in the B/U light

We had photo radar in Ontario for a while a few years ago. This got many creative minds working. The only solution I heard about that worked was as follows:

Photo radar uses a strobe flash to both provide light and to 'freeze' the plate's movement as it passes. About the same time photo radar was deployed, Ontario went to a much more reflective licence plate (like the new reflective tape used on trucks). It was soon discovered that this plate refected back too much light and washed out the image.

A friend of mine reasoned that if a little too much light was a problem, ALOT more light would be even better--for the speeder.

He fashioned a slave strobe flash (like used in photography) and installed it in one of the back-up lights on his car. When the Photo radar strobe hits the car, the slave senses it, and flashes right back at it, overwhelming the film and leaving nothing but a bright white spot where the target car should be. As all this happens in a thousandth of a second, the cop is left with no idea where the flash came from.

When the gov't killed the program, interest naturally died, but it DID work. The program was killed for 3 reasons. First, politics (ain't it always?) Second, the law was so badly written they would not prosecute anyone who pleaded not guilty, and third, the public radio stations' traffic departments had the area so well covered by callers ratting out the set-ups that the cops could seldom 'shoot' more than a few cars before they themselves were busted. Also, when you put these units on the heavily travelled roads of toronto, they caused accidents as ppl stomped the brakes.

Anyway, maybe someone can run with this. it is an easy install and cheap.

May the farce be with you.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:22 PM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What we do to speed : )
Old 04-18-2004, 05:26 AM
raceman77
Advanced

the plastic plate covers are very popular in Canada and saved me from many speeding camera tickets when l lived there.The police in the Vancouver area during their patrols of the many ferry docks and city parking lots specifically look for these deflectors and are too happy when they find one on a vehicle.They work , maybe not all the time in every instance but the technology is sound and it does work.Spend your money on one or not but for me it was money well spent.My last speeding ticket cost $180.00 ,l met the officer at the crest of a hill at 105MPH just outside Truth or Consequences,NM on I-25.Valantine One finally let me down.lf your town has traffic cameras the small investment in the plate cover is well worth it.lt`s cheap,it works and cops that l know hate it.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:50 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

The best spray for making your license plate invisible is called "Tremclad". Works great but apparently it is illegal to spray it on your plate.
Old 04-18-2004, 03:09 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

r'man & cn -- what makes you guys think these things work? Have you tested them? If so, can you describe the tests? If it is only '"cuz cops get mad," maybe they are mad that you are _trying_ to evade them(?)
Old 04-18-2004, 07:21 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by randywebb
r'man & cn -- what makes you guys think these things work? Have you tested them? If so, can you describe the tests? If it is only '"cuz cops get mad," maybe they are mad that you are _trying_ to evade them(?)
Sorry you missed the humor in my post; Tremclad is SPRAY PAINT!!
Old 04-18-2004, 09:56 PM
Jim Garfield
Track Day

There was a car at the autox last month that had a plastic plate cover that made the plate invisible to the naked eye except if viewed directly head on. I didn't have a chance to talk to the owner about it, and I will be in Daytona when this mo. autox takes place, but if he is there in May I will talk to him and report back.

Quick Reply: Spray to make license plates invisible?