Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

brake lock?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004 | 06:02 PM
sptschoice
Pro

Default brake lock?

Sometimes when I drive my 77 911 I would often experience the brakes not releasing after the pedal is depress. How can I tell, well I will neutral the car and it will just stay in still position even if on an incline will only move on acceleration and even then I can feel the rear wheel being held back....can anyone offer any suggestions?
Old 04-11-2004 | 06:20 PM
DanS911
Pro

Assuming you still have stock brakes, the caliper rebuild kit is cheap for your car and if you haven't rebuilt them in memory it is a good thing to do.
Old 04-11-2004 | 08:50 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

You probably need new brake hoses. My 69 911T did the same thing and I found the inner lining had come loose on the two rear hoses and acted like a straw with a vacuum on it. The vacuum would suck the sides of the inner lining to gether and stop up the hose. It felt like the brake was always on until I let the pressure equalize in the hose, then it worked ok. When you let off the brakes it feels like they are still on (pressurized). If those hoses are old, that is more likely the problem. If you have to go into the system, I would rebuild the calipers, hoses, etc., while the system was apart. Just a suggestion.
Old 04-12-2004 | 08:03 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

If the brakes have NEVER been touched they are probably due for major overhaul - pull pistons and replace seals (if pitted replace pistons - they can be purchased separately) if bores look bad have calipers refurbed or replace - new flexibles. If it were me I would also replace master cylinder - a cheap safe deal; refurb kits are available but not worth taking a chance on brakes so go for new.

PJC
Old 04-12-2004 | 09:52 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's a good idea to flush the brake fluid prior to storage and to brake the system sufficintlky to drive out all of the moisture prior to storage. Do not wash then immediately store.

It is also a good idea to save some old worn out pads and exercise the pistons w/ them regularly. The old pads are also a big help when bleeding a new system.
Old 04-12-2004 | 10:56 AM
sptschoice
Pro

Thanks all for response. I'll try what is recommend above and post results

Quick Reply: brake lock?