Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Dash replacement for ‘87 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 08:18 AM
DM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Dash replacement for ‘87 Carrera

I have been searching online for a replacement dash for an 87 Carrera but so far no luck. Can anyone point me in a direction for this? How big of a project is it to replace these dashes? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:01 PM
Uwon
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

I would not touch anything aftermarket unless you want to spend endless hours trimming for what will likely be a so-so installation.
Better to have your dash repaired for cracks, etc. and recovered in vinyl or leather of your choice. You can even get it double stitched which is a nice touch.
Unlike the earlier cars, the dash can be removed without pulling the windshield. You will have to remove
(1) the instrument dials (number every wire and mark back of each instrument accordingly),
(2) the glove box door and cavity which is held by the door hinge.
(3) defroster molding
Dash is held by 2 (maybe 3, not sure) studs/nuts on the inside of the instrument hump and several similar studs on the bottom edge facing the inside. It's a feel and touch situation with a 1/4" ratchet, a 4" inch extension and either a 12 or 13mm socket. Once you think you have every nut off you should be able to wiggle the dash off towards the rear lifting the front portion a bit to clear the studs on top of the instrument hump.
You can check on the location of each stud by searching, eBay and Pelican Used Parts for sale.
Two excellent shops that can do the repair/re-covering of your existing dash are Autobahn Interiors and Heritage Upholstery and Trim. I have used both and they do superb work.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.

Last edited by Uwon; 08-29-2021 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-30-2021, 06:31 PM
dw1
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The dash in my '87 needed work so I had it recovered for far less than the cost of replacing it. The work was done by Classic 9 Leather Shop ( https://www.classic9leathershop.com/ ) back when Mr. Budd (since retired) was running the business. They did great work and shipping the dash to them cost less that I thought it would.

One watch-out: If you go this route, it is a good idea to send the dash with your center (A/C) vent so the shop can insure it fits properly.

Oh,and a good thing about the 84+ 911 is that the windshield does not have to be removed to remove the dash.

Quick Reply: Dash replacement for ‘87 Carrera