Whale tail on my 88 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 04:36 AM
hksamc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whale tail on my 88 Targa

Hi all,

I have a 1988 3.2 Targa with whale tail option. The perforated plate vent grille under the wing needs a respray or ceramic coating. Any idea how to remove it? my car comes with the ac condenser so I am wondering if I need to remove the condenser to get the vent grille?

By the way, any idea how to adjust the engine lid? Shall I unscrew the 4 m6 screws between the hinges and the engine lid?

Thank you, Eric
Old 07-26-2021, 10:49 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Yes you will have to remove condenser as that's the only way in, and yes adjusting the 4 screws will allow you t adjust the lid, but be very careful here, as moving the lid will move the locking latch also . You don't want to be in a situation where the lid is stuck closed and wont pop because your latching mechanism is misaligned.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:03 PM
hksamc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for replying.

Adjusting the rear lid is a real pain and now the left hand side has a narrower gap than the right hand side. I tried to readjust the 4 bolts but it seems that the locking mechanism plays an important role here. It takes me 3 hours to adjust and the progress is slow...the engine lid still leans to the left hand side.

Cheers, Eric
Old 07-27-2021, 09:20 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by hksamc
Thanks for replying.

Adjusting the rear lid is a real pain and now the left hand side has a narrower gap than the right hand side. I tried to readjust the 4 bolts but it seems that the locking mechanism plays an important role here. It takes me 3 hours to adjust and the progress is slow...the engine lid still leans to the left hand side.

Cheers, Eric
lol yup .. i gave up ...

Quick Reply: Whale tail on my 88 Targa