Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ez Power Steering kit.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2021 | 03:56 PM
1979SC
7th Gear

Default Ez Power Steering kit.

I am thinking of installing an EZ electric power steering on my 1979 911sc. Does anyone have experience with this installation? Does it change the handling at road speed (130kmh)?
Old 07-16-2021 | 03:40 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

i don't think anyone would perform such sacrilege to a classic 911
Old 07-16-2021 | 07:44 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Here is a long thread about it on Pelican. The OP was older and was concerned about parking maneuvers. I think it goes in the smugglers box, so a problem if you have AC.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-steering.html

The last post from earlier this spring:
I have it installed in the smugger’s box on my SC and have run it two summers now, very pleased and it is completely hidden. Only downside is having to hammer out a little clearance in the sheet metal behind the unit for clearance. I recommend the add-on torque limiter which lets you adjust the amount of assistance from zero and up so you can have the steering exactly as you wish. These newer kits also read your speed and reduce the assistance accordingly, it is also possible to add an on-off switch. As your steering is still connected directly as it was before you don’t lose any steering feel. Excellent customer service from EZ also.

Mark
Old 07-31-2021 | 04:57 AM
amsterdam911
2nd Gear

Default EZ- power steering

Originally Posted by 1979SC
I am thinking of installing an EZ electric power steering on my 1979 911sc. Does anyone have experience with this installation? Does it change the handling at road speed (130kmh)?
Hi, The installation is pretty staightforward if you have some wrenching experience. One of the more unusual things you will have to do is knock out some space in the smugglers box wall where the motor
wil be.
It is best to use a hammer with a rounded head to do this. Also choose at least a 500 gram hammer because you cannot make a large swing. Check your progression from time to time to not overdoing this.
Afterwards put some primer and paint on the hammered down area.
You must do all this to have at least 2-3 mm between the motor and the sheetmetal of the smugglers box to prevent humming noises to be passed onto the car.
I wasn't to pleased with the two bolts that came with the kit to connect the motor to the flange on the steering rack. They are allen key and too fragile in the head.
Two hex bolts might be better? If you use the allen bolts check and clean the threads in the rack flange. make sure to get them in straight!!!!
The assistance of this kit does not really
work above 50 miles or so because you don't assistance there.
The advantage you get is from standstill up to aprox. 50. Especially during parking or in the city or your in neighbourhood it works great.
In my experience the direct steering feel does not really change.
Goodluck!
Old 07-31-2021 | 05:15 AM
1979SC
7th Gear

Default Ez power steering

Thank you for the info. I have received my kit and will do the installation next week.
Old 08-01-2021 | 03:08 AM
pmax
Advanced

Do you have to bend sheetmetal ?
Old 08-03-2021 | 03:33 PM
AG81
Burning Brakes

^
Depends on your definition of bend.. To me bending sheet metal is something you do during fabrication. Sounds like there is some hammering of the metal in the smuggler's box to make room for this unit.
Old 08-07-2021 | 10:49 PM
pmax
Advanced

Yeah, that's what I expected given the volumes are too low for a custom solution which would fit without needing any modifications.
Old 08-12-2021 | 01:56 PM
1979SC
7th Gear

Thumbs up EZ Power Steering

I installed the EZ Power Steering on my 1979 Porsche 911SC. The installation was straight forward and took about 6 hours to install. The power exist at a full stop and gradually decreases up to about 60kmh, at that point there is no power assist. The unit is directly connected as the original steering. The feeling at low speed takes some getting uses to because of the ease of the power assist. This is a real nice add-on to a great car.

Quick Reply: Ez Power Steering kit.