Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 SC No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 11:45 PM
gtfhercules
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,

Final update - the car sparks and now starts!

After going through the whole ignition system again, I believe what did it was simply cleaning the battery terminals and connectors - they had quite a bit of goop on them.

I went ahead and cleaned the spark plug grounds, coil connectors, and anything else I could see. Tomorrow, I'll move the car and swap spots with my MX-5 so I can make sure the spark plugs are torqued (again) and perform service on her.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:31 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,121 Likes on 802 Posts

if you are stating the battery connections were good enough to run the starter motor . fuel pump etc but not provide spark, im sorry , im just not buying it as the route cause , but perhaps i got lost along the way on the issue at hand.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:37 PM
gtfhercules
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
if you are stating the battery connections were good enough to run the starter motor . fuel pump etc but not provide spark, im sorry , im just not buying it as the route cause , but perhaps i got lost along the way on the issue at hand.
Well, sadly you'd be right.

Swapped the S's and the SC's batteries (the S's is brand new) and sure enough the car wouldn't start.

That said, the last time we had the car running I noticed something odd; when I moved the wire that connects the green wire to the CDI box, the car stuttered for a moment...with my dad cranking the engine, I bodged the wire and the car surely fired right up.

It looks like the PO attempted to do a repair on the harness, and that the repair he did wasn't holding.

I cut the heat shrink back, and I saw what appeared to be a butt connector that was getting a bit corroded.

I decided to strip back the corroded parts on the pigtail of the EV1 connector and the CDI side harness, and solder it back together.

After confirming that the solder was good with a resistance check from the pins on the CDI box to the female EV-1 connector, I first used electrical tape and then heat shrink (the heat shrink I had on hand was sadly too big for the small gauge wires of the EV-1 pigtail but it did work with both of them in one tube) - I put some black electrical tape on top of the heat shrink to make it look pretty, and the car fired right up.

I didn't leave it running since it's angled towards my house and smokes quite a bit on start up, but we should be okay!

I'll proceed to bleed the brakes tomorrow and do some more work on the car and confirm that my fix is solid.

Side note, how on earth do I resize images? I tried using the GUI but it just discarded my changes, and the BB code doesn't seem to work.

Last edited by gtfhercules; 09-11-2021 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:08 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,121 Likes on 802 Posts

now the green wire, i would absolutely believe.
Old 01-16-2023, 02:35 PM
Michael D'Silva
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gtfhercules
Well, sadly you'd be right.

Swapped the S's and the SC's batteries (the S's is brand new) and sure enough the car wouldn't start.

That said, the last time we had the car running I noticed something odd; when I moved the wire that connects the green wire to the CDI box, the car stuttered for a moment...with my dad cranking the engine, I bodged the wire and the car surely fired right up.

It looks like the PO attempted to do a repair on the harness, and that the repair he did wasn't holding.

I cut the heat shrink back, and I saw what appeared to be a butt connector that was getting a bit corroded.

I decided to strip back the corroded parts on the pigtail of the EV1 connector and the CDI side harness, and solder it back together.

After confirming that the solder was good with a resistance check from the pins on the CDI box to the female EV-1 connector, I first used electrical tape and then heat shrink (the heat shrink I had on hand was sadly too big for the small gauge wires of the EV-1 pigtail but it did work with both of them in one tube) - I put some black electrical tape on top of the heat shrink to make it look pretty, and the car fired right up.

I didn't leave it running since it's angled towards my house and smokes quite a bit on start up, but we should be okay!

I'll proceed to bleed the brakes tomorrow and do some more work on the car and confirm that my fix is solid.

Side note, how on earth do I resize images? I tried using the GUI but it just discarded my changes, and the BB code doesn't seem to work.

So how is the car running since your repair of the previous Green Wire repair?
I have a car here that is playing up.. sometimes running, then cutting out.. and it is leading me to think that I have a similar problem...

Quick Reply: 911 SC No Spark